Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0Vexatious0
Adept

re: Darkleigh (Bad Business)

Darkleigh strode through the gates of Silvermoon City. It's golden spires shone in the midmorning sunshine, the scarlet silken banners fluttered gently in the breeze. Darkleigh, her raven tresses tangled and snarled, deep in thought, paid no heed to the beauty of her home city. Her last job, had not gone well, in fact it had been a disaster of epic proportions. Darkleigh pulled her cloak up over her dirt caked hair and bowed her head as she walked through the cobbled streets of Silvermoon, pondering how it had all gone so very wrong.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It had seemed like a perfectly good opportunity. She had been sitting in the bar in Bilgewater Harbor, all but a fortnight ago, sipping some goblin ale when a greasy gnome approached her. By nature Darkleigh did not trust the Alliance at all, or even most of the Horde for that matter, but the dirty gnome's promise of gold, and more gold was enough to sway her to lend a sympathetic ear.

"R...rrr....really it's just a m...mmm..matter of retrieving the item from the temple.", the filthy gnome stuttered. Darkleigh could hardly tolerate the foul odor that seemed to be eminating from the strange gnome. His tunic and vest seemed to stick to his body, and what was left of his hair was plastered to his head.

Darkleigh looked down at the filthy gnome, 'And this temple...why is it that you cannot retrieve the item yourself?", she inquired.

"W...www....well look at me!", the gnome gestured to himself, 'I am not match for those......uh..... for the complex um....for the dangers of the road!"

"I should think that your scent alone would deter any would be bandits.", Darkleigh muttered.

The gnomes grimy palm thrust forward with a satchel of coins, "Listen elf, I need that item, and you can get it for me, or I can find another who will be willing. There is plenty of adventurers in this bar who would have no problem taking my gold! He stomped his foot in what Darkleigh could only assume was frustration.

Darkleigh thought it odd, but the sweet sound of those golden coins jingling in that bag changed her mind. Plus this foul little creature had offered to pay off her tavern debt, which was substantial. Being a ranger meant no hearth or home, save the local tavern, which more often than not had lodging, food and a hot bath to accompany the drink which flowed so freely.

"The deal is done then Gnome, I shall retrieve your item from the temple.", Darkleigh shook his grimy, childlike hand.

"Roywyck, the name is Roywyck. Here is the map.", Roywyck handed the filthy paper and a handful of gold coins over. "I will wait here for your return.'

Darkleigh nodded and took the map and coins. "Give me this night to study the map, and I shall set out upon the morrow."

Roywyck grinned a sickly grin and scurried away to talk to a scantily clad Goblin woman, who looked upon him with a mixture of disgust and horror. Darkleigh noted this didn't seem to deter Roywyck in the least, as she turned her attention to the map.

The parchment was in a bad state; some of the ink had smeared, some was faded, blurring a great deal of the text. The area in question, although drawn crudely, was known to her though, the Temple of Atal'Hakkar. The item was also noted on the page, the Tooth of Eranikus, an enchanted axe. Darkleigh sighed, it was well known that the Temple of Atal'Hakkar was a maze of tunnels and corridors, even having a map didn't guarantee you wouldn't be lost within it.

'But a job's a job... and... *sigh*... the gold will pay for better lodgings in Dalaran or Silvermoon', she whispered as she retired to her room. The rocking of the Barge seemed to soothe Darkleigh into a deep sleep.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The journey to the Temple was relatively pleasant. Darkleigh's war talbuk was well trained and the ride only took 2 days from Azshara to Stonard, where the sunken temple was located.

Finding the Tooth of Eranikus within the temple was another story. Darkleigh was suprised to find the temple infested with maggots and Murk worms, not to mention the feral trolls, the festering oozes and other denizens of the temple; all of who did not welcome her presence. Her bow made quick work of them all, but by the fifth night, lost within the temple, Darkleigh now guessed how the gnome had gotten so filthy. During her time, searching, she noticed two pair of fresh gnome footprints. They seemed to indicate a few struggles and a lot of running.

"So the little ooze has been here himself..and with another", she grumbled, pulling her tinderbox from her bags. "Five nights in this hell, all for some extra gold coins. DAMMIT!", Darkleigh screamed and the sound echoed off the walls.

The flint hit the iron bit sharply, the red glowing ember sizzled as it hit the damp moss. Darkleigh blew on it gently, coaxing it to a bright flame, which she added other bits of wood, and ruined cloth. Finally the fire was bright and warm, Darkleigh grabbed a dagger to scrape the filth from her armor.

"AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" The scream came from behind her, and she turned quickly to face another dirty female Gnome, dressed in warrior's garb.

"SHUT UP YOU FILTHY LITTLE GNAT!", Darkleigh's patience was at it's end, five nights in this wet, miserable temple. She pointed the dagger to the gnome menacingly, 'Your name gnat... and do you know another of your kind named Roywyck?!"

"Y....yes.....my name is Ellywinks.', Ellywinks paused a moment before her eyes filled with tears, and suddenly she burst into a wailing cry. "Roywyck left me here after I hired him to help me get the Tooth of Eranikus... he... he... he....*hiccup*.. took all my gold, and when things got hard, he just...he just...*sob* left me to face a group of Murk Worms.... alone. No doubt he thinks me dead."

Darkleigh found herself softening, and motioned for Ellywinks to come to the fire. "Warm yourself gnome', she sighed heavily, 'It seems that Roywyck has deceived both of us. It was with your gold he hired me to retrieve the very axe you seek, no doubt hoping it would fetch a good price to whoever he could sell it to." Darkleigh watched as anger flashed across Ellywink's face.

"That toad faced coward!", Ellywinks exclaimed. "Now...I shall never have the Tooth of Eranikus"

"Hold a moment, I have already been paid to retrieve this axe, and I am lost... If you can lead me to the weapon and then out of this sunken hell, it is yours.", Darkleigh stared into the glowing fire.

"I can! I can show you were it is!", Ellywinks declared happily and then sadness crept into her voice. "but....there is a dragon that stands watch over it though." Ellywinks lowered her eyes in shame, "I promised I would get it, to prove to my father I was strong enough to train with the other warriors." Her eyes started to fill with tears again.

'Please... gnom.. I mean.. Elly... please.. stop crying.", Darkleigh sighed, 'Can you lead us out after I have killed this dragon? I wish to have words with Roywyck after we finish this."

Ellywinks brightened, "Yes, behind the dragon is a broken wall, which leads to the outside corridor!" You.....you will help me?" Ellywinks eyes shone with unshed tears.

"Yes, I will help you, so long as you come with me after we get out of this abyss, and embed that axe firmly into Roywyck's head.", Darkleigh growled poking the fire angrily.

"A deal has been struck, a deal has been struck.... a deal... a deal.....la la la", Ellywinks sang as she seemed to dance near the fire.

Darkleigh didn't understand the gnomes at all... she didn't even know how she got into this, but she did know that Roywyck, that filthy little maggot, would suffer for his deception. She pulled her cloak over her and laid her head upon her pack, "Sleep now Ellywinks, this area is safe... '...Darkleigh whispered, she barely felt the tiny reeking gnome cuddle against her as if she was a pet.

Needless the say the next day dawned quickly. With Ellywinks reading the map, Darkleigh moved quickly through the halls of Atal'Hakkar. The Dragon, proved to be more annoying than deadly, and soon Ellywinks held the axe she so greatly desired. Crawling through the rubble, both soon saw the dim lights of Stonard in the distance.

The village was small and quiet. "We must not tarry, I have words for Roywyck, and you have a promise to fulfill.', Darkleigh said.

"Then we will go now... but, with greater speed than your mount", Ellywinks remarked and pointed to the flight master. "I'd say a matter like this, requires some speed."

"But the cost... ", Darkleigh protested. "Hasn't enough gold had already been lost to this bizarre endeavor?"

"I insist," Ellywinks declared. A few wind rider flights, and a zeppelin ride later they had reached Bilgewater Harbor.

Roywyck had used some of Ellywink's gold to get himself some new clothing, but not a bath. The clean linen did not hide the grime that still lay under it. The neck was dirty and sodden with sweat. He stood in the corner of the tavern, his back to the door, ale in his hand, trying to tempt yet another lady to partake of 'all his gnomeness'

"Because just because I'm small, doesn't mean I'm small everywhe....."

*SHING* *THUNK*

Ellywinks buried the Tooth of Eranikus, fast and quick into Roywyck's head. He slumped over and gold coins spilled from his shirt onto the table, along with a large pool of blood.

"Consider it payment for the clean up", Darkleigh motioned to the hardened Goblin barkeep. Darkleigh nodded at Ellywinks as she tried to pull the axe from Roywycks head, 'Good Luck Gnome, get more practice before you actually try to use that in battle."

Ellywinks smiled broadly and tossed a bag of gold from her belt to Darkleigh. Darkleigh caught it and raised her brow in a question.

"For everything else... thank you.", Ellywinks said.

Darkleigh nodded and left Bilgewater, headed toward Silvermoon City.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Darkleigh sighed and walked quickly, wrapping her cloak around her encrusted armor, and reeking skin. Silvermoon City seemed pristine, and had never looked as inviting, even Murder Row seemed bright and shining. Ellywinks gold would pay for a fine room, repairs to armor, a hot bath.. and a long rest. Entering the Wayfarer's Rest, Darkleigh vowed as she bore the questioning stares and disgusted looks at the Inn, to never do business with a gnome again. Those little gnomes were just big trouble.[size=12]
[/size]
Darren Tereos
Guardian - Charter Master

re: Darkleigh (Bad Business)

((Very nice introduction to Darkleigh. Hope to hear more about the gnome-slaughterer. ))

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: