Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jongo

re: Story: An’she and Mu’sha

An’she and Mu’sha
Part One of Mistrunner.

The Earthmother, her heart heavy with her children’s plight, could not bear to watch them fall from grace. In her grief, she tore out her eyes and set them spinning across the endless starry skies. An’she and Mu’sha, seeking to ease the other’s sorrow, could only chase each other’s faint glow across the sky.

-Excerpt from Sorrow of the Earthmother.

Mu’sha, the left eye of the Earthmother, glowed dimly through the clouds above the lands of old Lordaeron. A yellow fog hugged the land as a Shu’halo (The Children of the Earth, Tauren) prepared a camp near a dying evergreen tree somewhere in northern Lordaeron. He set his companion, a midnight colored hawk owl, near him as he sat down and wrote in his journal—

Day One hundred and eighty-six: I have found a species of what the followers of the Banshee Queen call Plaguebloom. It has some of the properties that The Circle has been looking for. I have still avoided detection from the Scourge, it appears their attention is distracted. The land here is not right, it seems to have gotten progressively worse than when I first arrived. The further I go into the wilds the worse it is. Something is worsening its condition. Although, some parts of the land are fighting back though; it is as if it were a child desperately fighting off an infection. I will continue my mission and bring a sample back to Nighthaven for further study at the end of the…

The Shu’halo heard twigs snapping nearby and stopped writing. He detected no signs of the undead, but it was difficult to see or sense anything in the dense fog that enveloped him. He looked deeply into the fog, straining his eyes, and saw the shape of red flames approaching. “Strange” he muttered to himself as he tried to comprehend what he was seeing. The flames did not give off any light, but it was clear to him that they were moving closer. The crimson flames slowly encircled the lone bull. These flames did not act like fire, but were cold and silent. The Shu’halo, sensing the danger, quickly scrawled lettering on his parchment and attached it to the leg of his hawk owl, and said “Go now Ero and find your way home, safe journey old friend.” The sound of drawn steel and human laughter soon surrounded him. It was too late to escape; the Shu’halo grabbed his mace and prepared to fight. The crimson flames approached closer and closer as the laughter grew louder and louder. The moon was soon covered by black clouds and a heavy darkness covered the land like a blanket. In the distance the Shu’halo could hear his name called out.

“Jongo! Jongoooo! Jooonnngooo!” Jongo’s sister screamed as she poked the tired Shu’halo in the back.

“Only a dream, or nightmare.” Jongo thought to himself as he trudged across the bridge between the land of sleep and the land of awake. “Go away Nan! The sun has yet to rise and I’m in no mood for your dung!” Jongo yelled.

“Wake up you lazy turtle! Mother wants to speak with you. And oh I umm did it again, brother.” Nan sheepishly held up a large ceramic pot with what looked like a small twig and dead leaves.

Jongo looked at the withered plant and sighed, he closed his eyes and muttered “awak” (grow). As though by command the twig began to sprout leaves and grew taller and its roots spread quickly. The plant grew to five times its size, bore small fruit, and its large roots curled out and destroyed the ceramic vessel that once held it. “You would be hard pressed to kill this one. Remember to water it once a day.” Jongo chuckled.

You always overdo things! Hmmph, and you better hurry, Mother looks pretty serious about this, I bet you’re in trouble.” Nan grinned as she skipped out of the room with the large plant in her hands.

It was not yet dawn when Jongo stepped out of his room into the brisk morning air. He looked at his trembling hands as he tried to make sense of his dream. The terror felt real enough and Jongo shook his head. “Only a dream.” He muttered. He saw his mother waiting for him outside her hut; her eyes were sharper than quilboar tusks. He had not seen his mother this concerned or anxious since the death of his father over ten years ago.

“Jongo, Hamuul Runetotem has sent for you. It’s about your brother Chaske. I-I don’t know what this is all about, but he sent for you specifically and would tell me no more. You are to meet him on Elder’s rise at nightfall. He says Chaske’s on an important errand, but-but something doesn’t feel right.” His mother tried to push back the relentless tears that were flowing down her face.

“I’m sure Chaske’s fine, Mother, He can take care of himself. He’s a fine druid; Hamuul himself said that he was the best he’s seen in decades. besides, we both know that he’s on a special errand for the Warchief.” Jongo said grasping his mother’s shoulder.

“It’s been over half a year since we’ve heard from him, not one word, and I don’t know what to think. And now out of nowhere Hamuul’s messenger comes and says you are needed and it’s about Chaske!? What could it mean?” Jongo’s mother replied.

“I don’t know Mother, but I will let you know as soon as I find out. Don't worry so much. The sun’s almost up and I have to tend to the northern orchards they are looking a little withered, I’ll let you know what happens after the meeting, I promise, I love you Mother.” With that said Jongo hugged his mother and left for the fields below Thunder Bluff.

The day passed quickly and soon An’she, the right eye of the Earthmother, descended slowly toward the edge of the World. Bright hues of pinks and oranges were painted behind her wake, the sky blazed, and An’she, the left eye trailed not far behind. In the distance the sound of drums pounded like thunder echoing off of mountains. Day was at an end and the many Shu’halo that were out farming, hunting, and gathering were returning to their homes on the windswept mesa of Thunder Bluff. Jongo Mistrunner stood, staring at the bright orb falling behind cascading mountains, on one of the wood planked bridges that connected the main rise of Thunder Bluff to the Elder rise. The bridge swayed softly, rocked by the wind, as if it was being cradled by the Earthmother herself. “What could Hamuul want or need and what does this have to do with Chaske?” Jongo reflected as he continued to watch the setting sun.

End of Part One.

Mahre

re: Story: An’she and Mu’sha

Wow....just....wow. I did not know you had this in you, but I enjoyed it very much so far. I love seeing some Tauren fiction...your imagry speaks to my heart =)

./sits by the fire to await the rest of the story

re: Part Two

Plagueshifter
Part Two of Mistrunner.

Inquisitor Malcovich scratched his chin as he looked out the window of Mardenhold Keep. The night patrol had returned from their rounds and had not come back empty handed. It had been two weeks since Grand Inquisitor Isillien and Highlord Taelan Fordring left for their pilgrimage to the Scarlet Monastery, two weeks since he was left as the authority of Hearthglen. The thought of permanent command made his mouth water. “I’m in charge” he muttered. He licked his lips and dreamed of becoming a Grand Inquisitor with absolute power and Divine right.

A rap at the door shook him from his fantasies and Inquisitor Malcovich turned and yelled “You may enter, what is it?”

The scarlet guard entered the room, nearly out of breath. “Excuse me my lord, one of the patrols has returned from the south, they’ve killed something and brought its body back… a bovine type beast, they say it was a shape shifter. It apparently turned into a dire bear and killed five of our brothers before they laid waste to it.”

“A beast, you say? Hmm. Certainly this creature is demon spawn, take its head and set it on a pike to ward off others of its kind, and set the head at the entrance of Hearthglen”. Inquisitor Malcovich ordered. “Oh how they will exalt me when they return.” the Inquisitor thought to himself as his eyes shifted. Malcovich’s tone switched from casual to serious, quicker than a sword being drawn from a sheath. “As for the five fallen brothers, ensure they have a proper burial, they died as martyrs, I will personally oversee the ceremony.” Malcovich scratched his chin. “And also, it’s been too long since our brothers have had the privilege of fresh meat, prepare the corpse and we shall hold a feast.”

“Is it umm safe for consumption my lord?” The scarlet guard asked.

“You question my judgment!? We will of course cleanse and purify the beast and bless it, may the Holy Light bless us, bless us all, we who are loyal followers.” The Inquisitor smiled as he gaped at the nervous guard.

Night had finally descended upon Thunder Bluff mesa, Jongo walked under a canopy of stars towards the Elder rise. Traces of fire light could be seen from the Elder’s hut and he could hear the sound of several voices all in discussion as he neared the hut.

“We have graver problems, reports from the expedition of Silithus indicate that the Qiraji are on the move, both Alliance and Horde are eager to open the gates of that evil place.” One voice said.

“We cannot spare any more druids, our resources are spread too thin, surely you know this Hamuul. We’ve already sent a large number of our people to red desert of the Blasted Lands to inspect the old portal” Another voice interrupted.

“We all know that Circle has been under pressure these days, but the work of the lost Plagueshifter was just as important as any of the other fronts we pursue.” A soft feminine voice intruded.

Confused at the commotion, Jongo quietly entered the hut, raised his left hand and said “Walk with the Earthmother.”

The hut went silent and after a moment, as if in one voice, nearly all the Shu’halo returned his greeting. “May the Earthmother smile upon you.”

“Ah greetings and welcome, Jongo, have a seat.” Hamuul Runetotem gestured near an empty place at his side.

Jongo sat and waited patiently.

“We have brought you here before us, because of some ill news we received from your brother.” Hamuul Runetotem started to explain.

“Is this the brother of the lost Plagueshifter?” A Shu’Halo with a large scar across his face interrupted.

Hamuul nodded and continued “Did you know that your brother belonged to a newly formed Order of druids called the Plagueshifters?”

“He did not mention it” Jongo hesitated. He did not like lying to the Arch druid.

“Our Order is clandestine, not even the Alliance know of its existence. In fact very few know it exists at all. Breaking our secret could be punishable by death, Jongo, you realize that do you not?” Hamuul smiled.

“Well he did mention that he was on a special errand for the Warchief.” Jongo quickly tried to recover from his last misstatement, his brother did in fact tell him that he was part of a secret order, but at the time he thought his brother was joking. As he thought of what to say next, Jongo saw a cloaked figure that was too slender to be a Shu’halo in the corner of his eye. Midnight blue hair, much like the empty spaces of the night sky, flowed down from beneath the hidden visage’s hood. He could see two bright glowing orbs staring at him.

“Do not be alarmed young one, she is one of the Kaldorei (The children of the Stars, Night elf) of the Moonglade, a friend and a mentor.” Hamuul misread Jongo’s reaction. He had mistaken the awe and reverence of Jongo’s eyes as fear and trepidation.

“She’s beautiful” Jongo whispered to Hamuul.

“She’s also six hundred years my senior, do not be deceived by her form, she’s both wise and her magics are powerful, and she has the advantages of youth, for her kind at least” Hamuul chortled.

“Lunara Swiftroot, a pleasure, brother of the lost one.” Lunara announced, her voice sharp and commanding.

“My brother and I have names, you know”. Jongo retorted, hurt by her sharp tone.

“She does not mean any offense Jongo. The members of our Order do not freely share their names, it is better for us not to share too much, for if one of us has the misfortune of being captured…well, the less information received, the less given. Lunara does not belong to our order, nor does she wish it, as it stands only a select few Shu’halo and a few Orcs have been accepted.” Hamuul explained.

“If this is Order is so secret then why meet at a public place and why is she here?” Jongo asked.

“The best place to hide something is to hide it in plain sight, as for your second question, she is here to guide and help us with her years of wisdom.” Hamuul winked.

“I’m sorry for my impatience, Arch Druid, but what news have you of my brother?” Jongo inquired.

Hamuul sighed, “That will have to wait young one, first we need to test you.” Hamuul raised his right hand and the members of the Order left the hut silently. Shortly after, two druids entered the room dragging a large wooden cage covered in brambles. From Inside came a muffled howl and the cage rattled fiercely as the druids drug it toward the center of the hut.

“Jongo this will be your first and only test, if you pass I will tell you of your brother, and if you fail…” Hamuul paused, “well, we’ll discuss that if it arises. Back away and give it some room” Hamuul nodded “Release it.” Hamuul and the two Moonglade druids left the room quickly.

The brambles of the cage sunk into the earth and the cage opened slowly. Jongo peered into it; toward the back a shadow moved and Jongo could hear low growl. Jongo took a slow cautious step toward the cage, the shadow shifted from one side to the other quickly with the agility of a mountain lion. Whatever this beast was, Jongo knew that he was in trouble.

“Don’t let it touch you, destroy it quickly” Hamuul commanded from outside the hut.

“I-I don’t know what…” before Jongo could finish his reply the creature in the cage lunged forward and slashed at the Shu’halo. Jongo shifted into a cat narrowly dodging the attack. The creature howled, it walked on two legs as a Shu’halo, but it stood slightly smaller and its flesh rotted and smelled. It bore no weapons aside from the two enormous claws and sharp teeth. The claws lunged at him again, and Jongo countered with a rake of his own claws across its face. The blow did not hurt the creature, but only angered it. Jongo then dashed toward the edge of the tent. “This creature is fast, don’t have much time to think” he muttered to himself. He then phased into a bear and charged the ghoul. The ghoul stood his ground and smacked the bear with its left claw as if it were a fly. Jongo was sent tumbling across the hut crashing into its eastern wall. He had little time to recover as the creature continued to close in, he phased back into a cat and sprinted to the opposite side of the room.

As Jongo reached the far side of the hut, he caught a glimpse of the structure that once imprisoned the creature. He remembered the brambles on the cage, and he returned to his natural form, touched the ground with his palm, and whispered “awak” (grow). Entangling roots appeared on the ground and wrapped around the creatures legs. The ghoul, immobilized, screamed and howled. With two large swings the ghoul ripped the roots off of his legs and rushed towards the terrified Shu’halo.

“I don’t have time to think, I don’t have time to think.” Jongo muttered to himself over and over again as the ghoul stampeded toward him. Without another thought Jongo lifted his hands toward his torso and opened his palms. He could feel power growing in his hands and in less than two seconds, as the ghoul closed in, he formed a ball of energy and unleashed it. The ghoul staggered backwards, jolted by the blow, then shook its grotesque head and charged forward again. Jongo, shocked at what he had done, looked at his hands again as another green bolt of energy shot toward the beast. The ghoul lurched backward and howled. It tried to dodge the third bolt, but failed to move quickly as the green ball struck dead center on its forehead causing it to explode. Jongo stood trembling, staring at the unmoving corpse, still fearing the creature he had killed, and terrified of what he himself had unleashed.

End of Part Two.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: