Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Evelectra

re: Of Humans and Devilsaurs

((Just thought I'd repost this here for you all, to give you a bit of insight into Evee. This was written for some RP that was happening on Moon Guard. I had always RPd Evee as hating humans, and wanted to address that. This also speaks of what happened between Evee and her parents to make her flee to Mulgore and live with the Tauren. Xory was played by my friend, who had to leave the game. Sad panda I am. I hope you enjoy. It's a little long, so apologies beforehand. ))

Xory looked at Evee expectantly, taking her hand in his. The two elves smiled, and Evee took a breath.

"Yes, Xory," she said. "I will tell you what happened. It is a long story, however, and will be hard to tell."

"Whatever you have to tell me, my darling, I will hear. Start at the beginning, if that helps."

"The beginning? Very well. But I am afraid the beginning was long ago... "

Evelectra looked around at the large humanoids around her, trepidation in her heart. The Tauren were intimidating enough, but now Evee felt as if she were being sentenced for something she didn't know she did. The day had been long, her bones were aching, but her mind was sharp. She looked across the fire at the female, Helenah, as she began to speak.

"Evelectra Dawnheart, you have shown yourself worthy of the Rite of Vision. You have learned of the Earth Mother and the gifts she gives to those who respect her. You have walked her paths, slain her beasts, and slept alone under her sky. You are worthy, and you are ready. Shall we begin?"

The elf nodded slowly, her heart sticking in her throat as a wooden bowl was passed to her. There was a thick, bluish liquid inside, and Evelectra could see her face reflected in the surface. It looked small and afraid to her. She closed her eyes and drew in a deep breath, letting it out through her nose.

"You can do this," she thought. "You must... "

The Tauren started chanting, softly, the thrums of their drums resonating in her chest, matching her heartbeat. Atticus, her new wolf companion, sat next to her, giving her strength. She lifted the bowl to her mouth and drank. The liquid was cool, tasteless, and slid down her throat easily. It warmed her as it passed through her body, and instantly she felt as if she were floating away. The tent and Tauren surrounding her started wavering, the sounds fading into the distance until Evelectra seemed to be standing in a lush jungle.

There were great creatures all around her, feral and unknowable, large lizards and beasts seemed to be made of tar. It was so alien, so different from the calm plains of Mulgore that she had grown to love, that she felt a fear she had never before felt. She began to look around, realizing at once that the beasts surrounding her paid her no mind; this was a vision. Her mind and soul were present, but no body for them to attack. As she made her way through the thick vegetation, she noticed the beasts and birds growing quiet. The very air seemed oppressive. She looked down at the ground and saw an impossibly large indentation in the mud; a footprint, the likes of which she had never seen before. She bent down to study the footprint, marvelling at the size. Suddenly, she heard the jungle buckle under a huge creature, the fauna screaming warnings as they scattered to the winds. She ran out to a break in the trees and looked down, gasping at the site in front of her.

There, in the clearing, was the Devilsaur, tall and terrible, its enormous mouth open in a shriek so loud the earth itself trembled.

And there, in front of the Devilsaur, was Evelectra standing tall and proud, her bow drawn, pointed at the beast.
Evelectra

Part One: Evee and the Devilsaur

"Atticus, come! It is time to leave," Evelectra called to her loyal companion. Atticus came bounding up, his red tongue hanging from his mouth happily. He knew, as well as Evee did, what the day would bring. She had been in the Un'Goro Crater for weeks, tracking the Devilsaur, waiting for the right moment for the hunt. The moment had come while she had been hunting the smaller Raptors many miles to the south of the small refuge in the mountains. She spied the great lizard's footprints, taking note of the direction it was taking. She had hurried back to Marshal's Refuge to collect her possessions, taking in the good natured jeers of those etching out a living in the camp, most of them researchers, not hunters. Though they had a kind of grudging respect for her, they did not believe a slight elf such as her could possibly face the Devilsaur and survive.

She wasn't sure she believed it, either. But, it was her path. The Earth Mother had shown her here, fighting the Devilsaur. Evelectra shuddered as she remembered the rest of the vision. The Devilsaur had struck, and Evee had watched helplessly as the Evee in the vision was tossed around, bloodied and screaming. The vision ended then, sending her sobbing back into the tent. The Tauren knew she had seen darkness, though tried to assure her that the Earth Mother had shown her a possible path, not a sure one. Still, it had left her rattled all those long days as she trained in the ways of a ranger, across Kalimdor. She had never told anyone of the vision, not even Xoryphin, her love. Seeing one's own death was personal, not easily shared with others. And though she knew in her heart that her death was not set in stone, she set off in the direction of the Devilsaur with fear in her soul. She thought again of Xory as she made her way south, his quick smile and strong arms, and a strength flowed through her. Just before she had left Mulgore for the hunt, Xoryphin had asked for her hand in marriage. It gave her a new reason to hunt, and to survive. Nothing in the world made her as happy as Xory; not the hunt, not the open sky. She would survive; she must.

Evelectra shook her head, scolding herself for becoming distracted from the task at hand. Atticus was a few feet in front of her, his nose leading the way. He was as apprehensive as his master, his tail low with the ground, though his ears were alert. Evelectra let out a small, sharp whistle through her teeth, and the wolf stopped, turning to look at the elf. Evee had stopped, for before them was a disturbing sight. There was the break in the trees from her vision. The Devilsaur was near.

Evelectra opened one of her bags and took out a piece of parchment. She ran her eyes over the words lovingly; it was verse Xory had written for her before she left for the Crater. She kissed the parchment, seeing her love in her mind's eye, letting him strengthen her from afar. Gathering all her courage, she pressed through the remaining vegetation and studied her surroundings. A haze hung in the air, the rich humidity stifling. There was little to no breeze, no wind to betray her scent. Surefooted and silent, she circled the clearing, waiting for her moment. The Devilsaur was not in sight, but the creatures in the jungle were quiet as she, not wanting to betray their position and become lunch for the monster. Evee crouched down, preparing to wait for the Devilsaur's return, when thundering footsteps sounded behind her. Atticus let out a sharp growl as Evee spun around in time to see the great lizard bearing down on her.

"Oh, you crafty devil," she said under her breath as she scrambled to her feet. She had not been as stealthy as she thought; the Devilsaur had been aware of her approach and made a wide bearth around her, coming up from behind. Evee quickly laid down a frost trap and backed up, readying her bow. This was it. The moment she discovered if her vision had truly shown her death.

The Devilsaur trod over her trap, the ice barely slowing it. Atticus snapped at the lizard's heels, trying in vain to distract it from his master. But the Devilsaur had his sites on this small creature, and hungered for its flesh. It opened its mouth and let forth a triumphant shriek, leaning down for the kill.

Evee was frozen. She was afraid. She did not respect this creature as the Tauren taught her to respect her prey. She was not prepared. Time seemed to slow as the creature's great head approached, its teeth bared, sharp and terrible. She lost her footing and fell over, trying to scramble backwards. She let out a heartbreaking scream as the beast's massive jaw closed around her legs, flesh ripping and bones shattering under the immense pressure. Evee's world turned red with pain as she was lifted from the ground, squirming in the creature's grasp. In one last desperate effort, she grabbed an arrow from her quiver, clumsily set up her bow and shot weakly at the Devilsaur.

It was a lucky shot. The arrow, should it have hit the head, would have simply bounced off the thick scales of the skull. But this arrow sunk deep into the creature's eye, and Evee felt herself falling quickly towards the ground as the Devilsaur opened its mouth and screamed in pain, Its small, useless arms clawed at its eye, stumbling, shaking the very earth.

Evee hit the ground with a dull thud, her vision swimming. Her legs were ruined; she was quickly going into shock. Vaguely, she heard Atticus howl in despair. The Devilsaur, insane with pain and anger, lumbered away, its large tail thrashing behind it, destroying trees in its wake. The hunter weakly pulled her body from the clearing, hot tears scorching her face.

Just like that, she had failed. Just like that, her vision had come true. She would never see Xory again, she would never experience the simple thrill of being out in the world, never again feel the Earth Mother's power. Atticus whimpered anxiously next to her head, licking her face. Slowly, Evelectra's world turned dark. She gave into it freely.

"This is the end," she thought. "I'm sorry, Xory. I failed you. I love you. Please hear me... "
Evelectra

Part Two: Human Behavior

Evee turned her face away from Atticus' excited tongue. She tried to open her eyes, but her eyelids seemed to weigh a ton. She waited a moment as the rest of her senses started to return. She could smell a campfire, and meat cooking. She was laying on an uncomfortable bedroll, and covered with a thick, rough blanket. Where was she? Was she dead? Distractedly she thought the afterlife should be more comfortable. Finally her eyes opened, and she took in her surroundings. Atticus yipped happily, his tail beginning a wag that travelled through his entire body. Evee patted him vaguely, trying to sit up. She looked down at herself in surprise; she was clean, and her wounds dressed. She tried to move her legs, but they didn't seem to respond. Lifting the blankets, she noticed they were both braced with cloth and pieces of wood.

What was going on? A thought flitted into her mind and her heart swelled.

"Xory... ?" she called out, her voice hoarse. She cleared her throat and started to call out again, when the flap to the tent opened. The morning sun streamed in behind the figure; all she could see was long, fair hair. Xory had long, fair hair. She began to smile and sit up straighter. The flap to the tent closed, and Evee's eyes adjusted. As the face before her came into view, her heart jumped and she gasped, shuffling back a bit.

The figure in the tent was not Xory. It was a human. The human tried to smile kindly, to reassure her, but Evee screamed.

"Atticus! Attack!" she shouted. Atticus looked at her and whimpered; he knew he should be obeying his master, but he did not strike. He laid down, his nose on his paws and looked at the elf in sorrow. The human chuckled and said softly, "Now... that was not kind, milady."

Evee looked at the human, her mouth hanging open in shock. He was speaking Thelassian!

"Who... who are you? Where are we? What have you done-- "

The human held up his hand. "Please, milady. You have been through quite an ordeal," he spoke slowly, his speech heavily accented. He approached her carefully, and sat next to her, keeping as much distance from her as the tent would allow. "How are you feeling?"

Evee just stared at the man beside her, no sound coming from her throat. She studied him carefully; he was of medium build, though looked strong. He was wearing platemail pieces, though they were dull and dented. His face was young and kind, his blue eyes bright. There was something else; a soft light surrounding him. After a few moments, Evee understood. This young human was a Paladin of the Light. The Paladin began to speak again.

"My name is Ihan Lashland, milady. Lash, to my friends. There is no need for you to fear; I am here to help you. What is your name?"

Evee looked at him a few more moments, then spoke quietly, her teeth clenched. "I will answer no questions until you tell me why you have brought me here. Am I your prisoner?"

The human, Lash, laughed. "You are not my prisoner, milady. And as to why I have brought you here, perhaps you should ask your friend," he said, motioning to Atticus. Atticus lifted his head and shuffled towards Evee, nudging her hand with his nose. Evee patted him, not taking her eyes from Lash.

"I was travelling through this Crater, when he approached. Atticus, did you say? Well... Atticus approached me, and I thought I was to be dinner for this animal," he continued, his eyes shining softly, "but to my surprise, Atticus led me to you. Milady, you were grievously wounded, do you not remember? You were near death when I found you. I took you from harm's way, and tended to your wounds. Your legs... they will take longer to heal. I was just coming in to check on you when I heard you call out."

Lash's words sunk into Evee, and she began to understand. When she had fallen, Atticus had helped her to safety, lending his strength to her. Probably, once she had lost consciousness, he had sought help, and happened upon this human. He must have been concerned indeed to lead a human to her. A human... her stomach turned as she thought of this human handling her without her consent. She was armorless, dressed in simple linen clothing. She was mortified thinking that this human had seen her bare flesh. She turned to look at Lash.

"My name is Evelectra." she said, quietly. Lash smiled, his young face seeming even younger with the gesture. He stood up and bowed graciously.

"It is an honor to know you, milady Evelectra. Now, will you answer my question? How are you feeling?"

Evee thought for a moment. Aside from the lack of movement in her legs, she felt wonderful. "I feel... well enough," she said slowly, eyeing him suspicously. "Tell me, Ihan Lashland, how is it you know Thelassian?"

Lash chuckled and sat back down. "When you travel the world as I do, it is helpful to learn at least a bit of other langauges. Cuts down on misunderstanding. Of course, my clumsy tongue scarcely does justice to this beautiful language. But I get by."

Lash moved to lift the blanket, and Evee slapped his hand away sharply. Lash looked at her in surprise; Evee returned his gaze angrily.

"Do not touch me!"

Lash sighed. "Milady Evelectra--"

"Evelectra. I am NOT your lady!"

"--Evelectra, I must see your legs, to see how they are healing. I used most of my strength keeping you from slipping away, I did not have enough to fully heal your legs. So, I bound them, to keep them still until my strength returned. Please?" he held out his hands, trying to show her he meant no harm. Evee stared at him a moment, then sighed and peeled back the blanket herself. She looked down and gasped; her legs, though bound, were still twisted and scarred. Tears sprung unbidden into her eyes. Lash drew in a breath and looked at Evee.

"That Devilsaur did a number on you. Though you should be thankful it was only your legs he snacked on."

"Thankful?!" she exclaimed. "Look at my legs! I shall never walk again!" she wailed in despair, leaning back on the bedroll.

"You are so certain," he said. "Have you no faith?"

Evee snapped back up. "Faith? You speak to ME of faith, you treacherous... human!" she cried, biting her lip. Lash looked back at her evenly, and nodded.

"I see. Not that I expected any different."

"What is that supposed to mean?" a hot anger flashed through Evee. How dare this human speak to her like that!

"It means that I was prepared for you to paint me with the same brush as you apparently paint all humans. Do not be so quick to judge me, Evelectra. I could have left you there, in the jungle, for the beasts. Isn't that what you would have expected?"

Evelectra opened her mouth, but could not find the words to respond. Lash grunted and shook his head, turning his attention to her legs. Carefully he removed the crude bindings, setting them aside. Evee tried to move them, but they seemed to not be attached to her body at all, for all she could feel them. The bitter tears returned to her eyes, and she laid back, not wanting the human to see her so vulnerable. Through her eyelids a soft light appeared. She risked a look at Lash; his eyes were closed, and his hands were inches above her legs, the source of the light. Evee gasped as a warm feeling passed through her legs. She could feel the bones beginning to mend; the feeling returning to her limbs. Lash's face was serene, concentrating on the task at hand. She looked at him wonderously; she had never witnessed a human Paladin off the battlefield, never witnessed one without a weapon in his hand and murder in his eyes. She looked away from the sight, and stroked Atticus' head. After a few moments, Lash spoke.

"There. Your legs are healed, though they will be weak for a time."

"How long?"

"You should remain here for at least a day." he said, leaning back on his hands. His face was pale, but proud. Evee let his words sink in. A whole day, with a human? Though she now knew he meant her no harm, the thought made her uneasy. She looked down at her legs, no longer twisted and ruined. She moved her feet, twirling them one at a time. She lifted them up, testing her muscles. They were weak, but she had full movement. Suddenly, she started to stand. At first she seemed to have complete control, but her legs betrayed her, and she wavered like a calf. She started to fall, but Lash was up quickly, ready to catch her.

"Whoa there!" he exclaimed, chuckling, catching her in his arms. Their faces were inches apart, and Evee quickly pulled back. "You might want to give your legs a bit before you rush off to the hunt again, Evelectra." he said, letting her step back, though keeping a hand on her arm for support. Evee sighed and nodded. She had stood to test their strength, to see if he was being truthful. Sullenly, he realized he was. There would be no swift escape this morning.

"Now, Evelectra. You must be hungry. I have food on the fire, we should have some breakfast." he lifted the tent's flap and led her out carefully. Evee blinked at the scene in front of them. All of her possessions were carefully placed around the fire; her clothing and hunting gear, tools and trinkets. Her bags lay empty next to them.

"My things!" she cried out. Lash looked at her and nodded.

"Your bags had fallen near you, though in a pool of water. I took the liberty of removing them, in order to dry them off. Most of your things were able to be saved."

Suddenly, his face turned slightly pink and he cleared his throat, glancing at a few pieces of parchment on the ground. Evee gasped.

"My.. my letters! You didn't read them.. ?" Evee got her answer as Lash's face turned redder still. "You had no right! Those are personal!"

"Evelectra, I humbly apologise. I... I could scarcely stop once I started. This Xoryphin is quite the poet... " he trailed off, an uncomfortable chuckle escaping his lips. Evee glared at him angrily a moment, snatching the parchments up and folding them carefully. After a moment, she realized had he not saved them from her bags, they would have been forever lost. The beautiful gift of words Xory possessed, that he had shared with her. She hugged them to her chest and looked back at Lash.

"These verses came from someone I love more than anything in this world. I feared I would never see him again."

Lash smiled. "And now you shall. Truly, a love like that cannot be quelled by death."

Evelectra opened her mouth, but just looked at Lash. Lash understood and nodded. He turned and busied himself with preparing their breakfast as Evee started going through her things. Most everything was undamaged, save for her fishing pole and some of her clothing. Her tough scorpid armor was clean and dry, though her leggings were destroyed. She sat carefully near the fire after tucking Xory's letters away. She accepted the food from him, and together they ate in silence. Atticus padded out from the tent and sat expectantly for his breakfast as well. Evee tossed him some meat, which he ate with flourish.

After they had eaten their fill, Lash sat back and gazed at Evee. They made small talk, and Evee marvelled to herself how easy it was to talk to this human. Every human she had met up until this point had been a swaggering, self obsessed beast, usually drunk. They had always disgusted her before, yet she felt completely at ease with Lash. Soon, the began small talk, and Evee found herself easily telling Lash about her life up until now. She told him of her parent's lust for power, how they betrayed her to Tavros, the disgusting Sindorei Mage who had held her prisoner in payment for the power he promised to her mother and father. It had been false power, however, and her parents became Wretched. She told him of her eventual escape from Tavros' clutches, and her decision to travel to Mulgore and study the ways of a Ranger with the Tauren. She gushed about the power of the Earth Mother, how it helped to sate her own thirst for the arcane, though she still needed to meditate, as all her kind did. She spoke of hunting, of Xory, of her adventures. Lash drank in every word like a person lost in the desert would a glass of water. She spoke all day long until the sun started to sink below the horizon.

"Oh!" she said. "All day long have I spoke... you must have been dreadfully bored, Lash!" she said, surprised at herself for referring to him so casually. Lash's face broke into a wide smile, reaching his eyes.

"No, Evelectra," he said. "Never before have I heard such a wonderous story. Now I know why I was lead to you. Your journey is not over yet." He stood up and held out his hand. Evee blinked, accepting his hand, and stood up shakily. Her legs were already stronger, though she knew a good night's sleep would be the best for her. When she was standing, Lash held her still.

"Evelectra. One thing I have learned on my travels is the power of forgiveness. You spoke before of your parents, and the things they did to you. You blame yourself for their fate. Wait," he said, as Evee opened her mouth to object. "Perhaps you were spared death so you can completely leave behind your troubles. Find it within yourself to forgive your parents as well as yourself, or it will hang over you as a dark cloud for the rest of your days. I speak from experience, milady."

Lash reached down and lifted the flap to her tent and led her in. Evee was still speechless.

"Good night, Evelectra," he said. "Tomorrow, you shall return to your Xory, and the rest of your journey."

The next morning, Evelectra awoke anew. Her legs were strong, she no longer stumbled when trying to stand. She exited the tent and smiled gently at Lash, who was standing next to her packed bags. He stood there, handsome and stout, a hint of sadness in his eyes. Evee approached him, standing straight and tall. Atticus walked up to her, anxious. She patted his head lovingly, and spoke to Lash.

"Never before did I think I would speak these words to a human: Thank you," she started, her voice soft.

"There is no need, Evelectra--"

Evee held her hand up, and Lash fell quiet, listening. "Last night you spoke of forgiveness. That is not an easy thing when wounds run deep. Humans wounded my people when they abandoned us in our time of need. My parents wounded me when they betrayed me to their own desires. I know now this is something I must battle with. I am thankful for what you have done for me, but that does not make us friends. If we meet again, Lash, it will most likely be as enemies. If I feel threatened by you or your kind, I will not hesitate to strike. But your kindness will forever be kept in my heart. I will not again strike a human out of pure spite, as I have before. And now, I will seek out my parents, for closure, if they still live."

Lash stared at her, an odd look in his eyes. "I cannot ask for anything more, Evelectra, for our meeting has opened my eyes as well. You are a strong, proud woman, and I am thankful for this opportunity to know you."

Lash bent down and lifted up her bags, handing them to her one by one. "It is time for you to return to your hunt, and to your love."

Evelectra nodded as she slung her bags over her shoulders. She reached out and grasped Lash's hand tightly. No words needed to be spoken; they both knew they would never see each other again like this. Evee released his hand and turned away, whistling for Atticus to follow.

She looked ahead and saw her paths in front of her. One led to the Devilsaur, who she now respected and would truimph over. One led to her parents, who she would find and forgive, releasing them from their Wretched life. The last led to Xory, who she would share her life and journey with.

The last path went on, it seemed, forever, filling her soul with warmth.
Mahre

What an amazing story, I love it. And I hope we shall hear of more of her adventures. The Devilsaur is an awesome beast that does deserve some respect, and has been feared with good reason. Perhaps there will be another story when Evee finally defeats the beast?

Thank you =)

What a wonderful tale. Very nice. Happy
Evelectra

Thanks for reading!
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: