Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

re: [Open RP] Northpass Tower

Northpass Tower, once little more than a tumbledown ruin, stands tall and proud again, a bastion of the Light amid the darkness of the Scourge-haunted north. Built along the road that led to Quel'Thalas, it was meant to be used as a sanctuary for the local populace in the event of Amani raids into eastern Lordaeron, and as a border strongpoint for the local militia under the command of Baron Marius Blackpool. From its uppermost platform, the high misty peaks that make up the Thalassian Mountains, the physical border between Lordaeron and Quel'Thalas, are visible even in the heavy, continuous overcast -- as is the glow of ceaselessly burning Stratholme, the unnatural light a bloody stain on the clouds above the accursed city.

The upper tiers of the tower have been made comfortable for travelers passing through on the way to Light's Hope and points south and west, complete with some simple, narrow beds and room enough to spread out bedrolls between, iron braziers supplied with charcoal, and, on the ground floor, a firepit to cook a fresh, hot meal over.

After taking a few minutes to explore, Folami goes back to the bottom floor and checks the fire pit. She finds a poker and begins stirring the smoldering embers in preparation for finding more wood.

"A hot meal?" she mutters to herself. "Must be my birthday."

Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

"I'm going to spare you the special joy that is fresh-grilled rot-grub steak." Keldris arrives, carrying a basket of dry kindling and an armload of larger, split logs -- applewood, from the smell, once he gets the fire going. "And I wouldn't recommend trying the local mushrooms -- I mean, the Circle says they're safe now, but that's not the sort of risk I'd want to take, you know? I can, however, promise that the vegetables are mostly fresh and I've got a bottle of wine we can add to give a stew some flavor."

Twinyarrow smirks from were is is seated watching the goings on.

"Oh I don't know. I developed a bit of a fondness for the flesh of the Carrion worms. I am told Highlord Fordring also enjoys it. It is something of a texture we are unaccustom to down here where a fibirous meat is the norm. But, if you've never tried it... It is not unlike that raw rish dish they served in Dalaran. The one with that salty sauce. Of course this is cooked, but the flavor is sort of smoky."

Yarrow suddenly falls silent as he realizes several people, Folami and Keldris among them, are now actively staring daggers into him.

"I'm only saying.... One should be open to new things..... I think I need some air." He slinks from the tower and begins walking down the path. "Be back shortly."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

"Yeah, well, Highlord Fordring lived in a hermitage where his closest neighbors were hostile Nerubians and Nathanos Marris for a dozen years -- and he occasionally waxes nostalgic about that, especially when somebody puts a fresh pile of paperwork in front of him." A full skin of fresh spring water goes into the pot, along with a selection of herbs to steep and a generous cup of wine. "The point I'm trying to make here is that his sense of taste can be construed as pretty suspect at this point. This recipe, on the other hand, is the first thing they taught us how to make in 'Eating And You: How To Survive Without A Squire' class and, from an engineering perspective, it's actually idiot-proof. Well, all right, I suppose it's technically possible to screw up wine-stewed rabbit-and-veg, but you'd have to build a substantially improved idiot to do it."

A muffled Yarrow's voice retorts from outside....

"What did you say about my Squirrel? Also, is that to say were you in the presence of a squire one would simply eat them?" His voice continues fading as he continues down the path, ignoring the witty retort Keldris is quite likely tossing back at him. Once clear he summons his Wyvern and takes to the skies. Climbing higher he removes his eyepatch and scans the mental image of the map within his mind, then seeks the emenations of any ingrams not on the list... He tenses searching the lands finding nothing, nothing nothing.

The warlock shifts in the saddle, beginning to draw a relaxrd breath when a tingling begins to register at the corner of his augmented vison.

"Oh no...," he murmurs... "Not here."

Moving towards the direction wherefrom the feelings grows most powerfully, Twinyarrow peers down, gasping at what looks to his normal eye, to be nothing more then an open expance of grassland.... Yet to his other... A sickly, greasy, black funnel swirling upwards. It's rotating slips of night looking like a whirlpole of think phelgm-like black ink. From within, inhuman things emerge attempting to swim from it's grasp only to be sucked back into it's vortex. The sight forces the Warlock to steel himself. He watches with morbid fascination until his own mental guards clamp shut within his mind and wasting no moment, he comes about and heads for the tower.

"The field of dreams now has mines in it." He thinks grimly. Then replacing the patch over his eye, allows Everwinter to fly strait and true to their destination.
Jadedinsc
Champion

"I am open to many new and varied experiences so I do not think my life suffers from the lack of desire to try rot grub." She pauses to notice Yarrow has gone off. Looking back to Keldris she shrugs slightly.

Probably wants some fresh air, she decides.

"Certain mushrooms could have potent spiritual properties, especially around here, though I doubt the visions and insights they'd offer would prove very pleasant for the imbiber." She smiles. "I won't mind their absence in this case."

Darchala

Outside the tower, the merry jangling of metal cookware drifts over from the direction of Ismial's flying machine as the priest rummages through one of the boxes fastened to its side. After some digging, he heads back to the tower with a pair of bags and a stoneware mug in one hand and a fiendish-looking contraption in the other.

"Scones," he says as he sets one of the bags down near the firepit. He places the device on the floor by the wall and takes a seat, fiddling with the controls. "Going on stale, now, but toasting should fix that."

Folami claps her hands together in delight. "I haven't had scones in ages. When I was in school on Sunstrider, scones were a lovely way to start the day before morning lessons."

Twinyarrow
Bard

Twinyarrow slips slowly back up the ramp leading into the tower some three quarters of an hour later. He enters wordlessly looking at those assembled. He cannot help but take a moment. They have all been through so much yet here they are... in a cramped tower in one the the most plague ridden places in the world, having been through hell and back. Yet... they seem content. Perhaps for the normalness of they're comeraderie. He watches and listens gliding as he does so, along the wall and takes a seat in silence.
The smell of wine based stew and toasted scones suddenly reaquainting his mind with his stomach.

"Have I missed dinner on my recon?"
Jadedinsc
Champion

Folami shakes her head. "Even if you had, I would have saved you a bowl. Come, help yourself. It's practically a royal buffet after all we've been through as of late."

Darren Tereos
Guardian - Charter Master

Jarrand stood atop the ramparts of Northpass Tower. Aside from the comings and goings of the rest of the traveling party, the Windspeaker watched the still miasma-covered land. Just as Jarrand was beginning to think there was to be nothing gained from drifting into the realm of all of his senses in hope of hearing message from the defeated elements of this land, the smell of cooking wafted into his nostrils. After a deep inhale through his nose, the orc cast one more look at his surroundings, his expression a mixture of sadness and disgust, and descended the many steps to join his companions. Smiling at the sight of a warm food and some sort of bread, he asked his companions, "the sun shines on us now in this dark place: how have we managed such a feast?"

Guardian - Lore Master

"A paladin is always prepared." Keldris smiles and pours cups of wine. "Well, that and there's a basic supply cache up here in the store-room under the stairs. The perishable supplies are preserved by magic." He begins dishing out the meal. "One of the persistent problems we always had was overcoming the innate tendency of any supplies we managed to acquire rotting away faster than normal. The...balance between life and death is out of whack here -- it makes it easier for things that are injured to die rather than recover and live, or things that are already dead or otherwise inert to decompose. It ultimately took the efforts of a number of different physical and magical disciplines to ameliorate that."

Jinjai enters the small circular room. She has been absent since their departure from Lake Mereldar. She is covered in more filth than before with some bloody handprints adorning her armor. She smiles brightly at the company and settles in. "Eatt'in are we? T'is looks mighty tasty." Jinjai recovers a dirty rag from her belt pouch and begins wiping her blade. "Sorr'eh. I jus' ate."

"Brudd'ah Keldris" her smile never vanashing, she looks fully content "You has some stories from yo' time in t'eh Argent Dawn? Any happy ones to tell? A good stor'eh wit' a good meal?"

"That depends entirely on how you define 'good'," Wryly, "And happy for that matter. But I think I can come up with something..."

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: