Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

re: [Open RP] Overnight In Acherus

The fortress Acherus lacks even the slightest amenities for the living: the former servants of the Scourge require no rest, and so there are no beds, or even private quarters beyond the Highlord's war-room; they require no food that anyone living would want to contemplate; they desire few, if any, reminders of what they once were and what they have lost.

They are, however, not entirely inconsiderate hosts. In the upper galleries of the fortress, a chamber is prepared, warmed with charcoal-braziers to ward off the bone-deep cold and set with pallets borrowed from the stores of the Argent Crusade, along with food and wine brought up from below. A brace of knights remain behind to stand guard as you ushered inside and the hastily erected curtain drawn -- partly to grant at least the illusion of privacy and partly to keep the warmth in -- you guardians bidding you a good meal and a good rest.

Jarrand, the Windspeaker, sits comfortably on the all-too-thin pallet. Sipping at the win and pulling bis of flesh from what meat is to be found in the meal provided by their hosts. Between bites, he mutters to the living around him, "It's as if we see the maze from the ground and the Death Knights around us from on high, as easy as they make this matter of selecting bits of soul from across the lands."

Jarrand pauses a moment, to take a draught of the wine. "But, for those walking that once did not, their wine isn't half bad."

Champion

Folami grumps quietly about another poor sleeping mattress, but otherwise keeps her complaints to herself (and there are many, so her companions should feel spared). She settles down some place semi-comfortable, close to the braziers for warmth. She studies the food more than she eats it, taking nibbles here and there in between fairly large sips of wine.

"I sincerely hope once we search for those bits that they can form back to some semblance of a soul on their own. I was never terribly great at jigsaw puzzles as a child. I'd hate to see what I would make of a soul." She smiles to show she is joking, though it doesn't quite reach her eyes.

"Do we have the map from Foehand? Blood stains and I suspect they will still mark the map in some fashion."

Darren Tereos
Guardian - Charter Master

Nodding, the shaman states "Like seeks like. I see no reason the fragments should not assemble themselves like waters flowing from different rivers." Taking again a great chunk of meat, "But, we've only the word of the Death Knights that this is the path we should take."

Veteran

The curtain is twitched aside, and a familiar if battered face becomes visible, the corner of his mouth curled up in a hesitant half-smile. "Good evening."

(Hi again, folks! Couldn't resist the chance to bring Skype back after my hiatus... I got one-two-punched by various personal concerns and my Ally guild's raid schedule going bonkers, but hopefully I'll be able to participate more in coming weeks.)
Darren Tereos
Guardian - Charter Master

"As I said, like seeks like; greetings Death Knight." The Windspeaker raises his goblet in salute, the drink sloshing with the gesture. "If you've heard any of what now transpires, mayhap you can hold a burning ember to the darkened depths we now face. If not, we've merely got the currents to carry us downstream." Jarrand punctuates his statement by pulling more meat from the plate and chewing it thoughtfully.

Champion

Folami smiles as she looks up to the newcomer. "Skyspear! T'is good to see you again alive and well...er, or at least mobile." Her smile fades a bit when she notes the knight seems a little rough around the edges. "Have a seat, there is much we have learned and more to discuss.

To Jarrand she says, "We've only the word of Death Knights and Highland Mograine. He is a Death Knight too, but one who has taken personal responsibility for Solivar's safety and soul. We don't have to trust him fully--and we shouldn't trust anyone completely at this juncture--however, I believe his actions speak loudly. He is also giving us shelter and keeping us from running afoul of the Argent Crusade as best he can, not to mention a mutual dislike of Sylvanas."

Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

Keldris, accustomed from years of sleeping on nothing more comfortable than reasonably soft rocks and eating things that were fairly recently attached to gargantuan rot-grubs, settles in with the aplomb of a long-time Plaguelands resident. At Folami's query, he extracts the map from its case and spreads it out on the floor, well out of the way of the platter and the wine-cups, nodding swiftly in greeting to Skyspear.

"Most of the...droplets are clustered pretty close together it seems." He traces a loose pattern between them, around the Plaguelands and into Quel'Thalas in one circuit, the second cluster centered around the ruins of Lordaeron's capital and the lands surrounding. "Makes sense -- while he was alive, it was mostly here in the north, either in Quel'Thalas or Lordaeron. We're just going to have to be...really, really careful in the vicinity of Undercity."

She stares at the map and frowns at the area of Quel'Thalas. "And I cannot travel to Silvermoon or to Sunstrider Isle for that matter. Personal matters." She clears her throat. "But my father would be willing to help. He's had a...change of heart and he was aware, at least partially, that we are involved in something dangerous and not precisely evil."

She continues to study the map. "None of the dots seem to fall in Undercity, at least. So that should make things marginally easier."

Skyspear
Veteran

Skyspear crouches beside Folami, and studies the map with interest. "Droplets... I take it this relates to Solivar's predicament? I'm afraid I know nothing of what you've been up to, though I did dare to hope you'd make some progress in the weeks I've been running around."

He looks rather bemused. "Even if it was an unlooked-for grace to find you here. I'd thought I would have to spend the *next* month tracking you down."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

"Progress...Well. Some has occurred, yes." Keldris smiles wryly and taps the map. "A'dal seems to think that, to save Solivar and...his passenger...we need to make them remember themselves, who and what they once were and what we want them to be again. Foehand has a...bond of sorts with Solivar, a sympathetic tie, through that freaky arm of his, and used drops of his own blood to locate areas where there's something with a similar level of sympathy." A pause. "And Baron Silver kindly offered to stitch him back together when we're done."

Nodding, Jarrand surveys the map. "Droplets is right, as we seek to assemble a thunderstorm from raindrops. But, how many will it take for lightning to strike? A simple majority, or do we need to reach critical mass to hear the peals of thunder?" Jarrand mulls this over, still chewing his meal. "And, even if the Baron will mold the pieces into our displaced Death Knight, what if we run light in the collecting and only bequeath upon ourselves a partial Solivar? I do not much care for these magicks and arcane witherings."

Veteran

Skyspear frowns. "Most death knights remember their past lives in shreds and tatters, Windspeaker. If Solivar were to lose more of himself than had already been taken from him, that would be a tragedy... but still less of one than having to exist as a mere bit of soul-stuff blown about on the wind."

He looks thoughtful. "I might be able to approach most of these places safely, actually. Moreso because the Argent Eye are no longer searching for me... I gather they believe me to be dead." He twitches an eyebrow at Folami. "Or more so than I usually am."
Jadedinsc
Champion

Folami doesn't take the opening, though there is a ghost of a grin to be seen on her lips.

"I think, if my theories on souls is correct, that we needn't find every single piece. A simple majority perhaps, maybe less. Also each of these pieces will not be the same 'size.' When you shatter a glass, the fragments are uneven and vary in size and," she adds, "some will cut you if you aren't careful."

She shakes her head. "Sorry, I seem to have been developing a habit of delving into metaphor. My point was that if we collect enough, whatever slivers we've missed will find their way back once the soul is reclaimed. I hope."

Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

"I don't even know enough to guess on the 'how much' or 'not enough' issue -- I wish I did." Keldris pours himself a cup of wine. "I'd be lying if I said I didn't want as much of him back as we could possibly retrieve...but I also understand the difficulties in doing so. We'll have to be careful about who we send where -- I was in Undercity, but I was also disguised pretty significantly. Yarrow would probably be able to help with Quel'Thalas. My major concern," a rather expressive grimace, "are the droplets inside Mardenholde. I'm just slightly worried, if I set foot in there right now, I won't be walking out again."[/i]

Page 1 of 2

Jump to: