Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

re: [RP Open Thread] In the Shadow of Ulduar

The mining settlement known as K3 lies at the base of the Storm Peaks -- a tiny town of little charm and only the barest comforts, the abode of hard-bitten, hard-working goblins who wring their living directly from the bones of the world. The inn, like all the other buildings, is a simple dome of cut and dressed stone, soot-stained on the inside, snow-covered on the out, but it has the advantage of being discernibly warm, particularly in the beds closest the smoky braziers, and even moreso with a meal of fresh roasted boar and mulled wine recently consumed.

The nights last long in this place, high above the rest of the world, on the edge of an Old God's former prison. The air is thin and cold, and the weariness of the long flight to this place hangs heavily on anything capable of feeling it. Even a simple bed of straw ticking and rough woolen blankets is a welcome respite -- for a few hours more at least.

After a warm meal and some hot tea, Folami took Jarrand's suggestion to heart about the cold weather clearing her head. The walk she took was a very, very short one and now she's back inside the inn cupping a warm mug of tea in her hands, the cloak Keldris gave her still draped over her shoulders. To her left floats her blue voidwalker Grimkrast. It appears she's having a quiet conversation with him, the occasional word or phrase becoming discernable over the general din. Grimkrast's prescence seems to comfort her and he nods every now and then, or at least it looks like nodding.

"...listen to the orc, bet I'll catch my death." She pauses to sip her tea and then resumes her quiet grumbling. "...Winterspring...avoiding me? ...not the time for it..." She sighs and sets her mug down before lowering her head onto her forearms on the table. Though Grimkrast says nothing, at least nothing anyone else can hear, Folami says, "I don't want to. I'll rest later."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

"It's been my experience, when dealing with Eventide men, that you shouldn't take their periodic unexplained disappearances personally." Keldris' tone is exceedingly wry. "They're usually plotting something they don't want anyone else to know about just yet. Sometimes, you'll even enjoy it."

He's shed his disguise, at least for the night, and without the glamour of woven magic to hide behind, he shows a bit more than just his true face: the lines of tension and physical pain at the corners of his eyes, the permanent worry mark engraved between his brows, the red rimming his dark, dark eyes and the shadows lying under them. He takes a place on the rough wooden bench and pours himself a flagon of something least alcoholic, pouring a bit of fine white powder into the drink from a twist of waxed paper, and drinking it down swiftly, shuddering a bit when he's done.

Jarrand had cleared the all-too-small goblin-sized furniture from his meager room; the bed lay up-ended in a corner, an impromptu armor stand. The shaman rested prone on the ground, facing the ceiling. His mind wandered as his hands absently tapped an old rhythm on his broad chest.

Destiny as destroyers or defenders....could be either now.

The spirits of the frozen wastes of Northrend had been of little insight. All too strong were the echoes of the fallen Lich King's army and Jarrand was fairly sure that mixed amidst the chaos was the gibbering of something far older and likely more powerful.

If we are the ones who are to be guided to freeing Yogg-Saron, the songs they sing after our death will be of no honor to our descendants.

The worry chased away sleep, leaving Jarrand staring upward, eyes open but unfocused. His thoughts were interrupted by a brief flicker, not of light but of the magical energies that eddied and swirled just beyond what the eye could see. "Perhaps there is a different song to be written all together." With a heavy sigh, Jarrand closed his eyes and set about chasing down a night's rest.

Champion

Folami lifts her head from the table, her cheeks taking on a pinkish hue as she looks over at Keldris. She studies him intently, probably because she's unaccustomed to seeing him without his disguise. Grimkrast also looks at him, though he has no real expression to speak of. Folami gives him a short nod and the voidwalker slowly fades away from view.

"He didn't..." She stops and starts again, "It's not entirely unexplained, I just don't quite know what to make of it." She sips her tea, watching Keldris mix his concoction. "Is, uh, everything quiet now?" She points to her head, "In there I mean."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

Jadedinsc wrote:
Folami lifts her head from the table, her cheeks taking on a pinkish hue as she looks over at Keldris. She studies him intently, probably because she's unaccustomed to seeing him without his disguise. Grimkrast also looks at him, though he has no real expression to speak of. Folami gives him a short nod and the voidwalker slowly fades away from view.

"He didn't..." She stops and starts again, "It's not entirely unexplained, I just don't quite know what to make of it." She sips her tea, watching Keldris mix his concoction. "Is, uh, everything quiet now?" She points to her head, "In there I mean."

The smile becomes more rueful than wry. "Besides the battalion of dwarven siege engineers banging out the Anvilmar Chorus on the spot right behind my eyeballs? Never quieter." He pours himself another mug of least-alcoholic, and regards the board, picking out a few pieces of cheese and some roast potatoes. "How're you doing? Still headachy?"

Darren Tereos wrote:
Jarrand had cleared the all-too-small goblin-sized furniture from his meager room; the bed lay up-ended in a corner, an impromptu armor stand. The shaman rested prone on the ground, facing the ceiling. His mind wandered as his hands absently tapped an old rhythm on his broad chest.

Destiny as destroyers or defenders....could be either now.

The spirits of the frozen wastes of Northrend had been of little insight. All too strong were the echoes of the fallen Lich King's army and Jarrand was fairly sure that mixed amidst the chaos was the gibbering of something far older and likely more powerful.

If we are the ones who are to be guided to freeing Yogg-Saron, the songs they sing after our death will be of no honor to our descendants.

The worry chased away sleep, leaving Jarrand staring upward, eyes open but unfocused. His thoughts were interrupted by a brief flicker, not of light but of the magical energies that eddied and swirled just beyond what the eye could see. "Perhaps there is a different song to be written all together." With a heavy sigh, Jarrand closed his eyes and set about chasing down a night's rest.

The breeze is warm -- the warmth of high summer, rich with the scents of sun-kissed earth and sweet flowing water, ripe grass and full leaves. Insects trill and birds sing and, in the near distance, you hear a low, gravelly voice chanting the rising-falling-rising song of the spirits.

Solivar wrote:
The smile becomes more rueful than wry. "Besides the battalion of dwarven siege engineers banging out the Anvilmar Chorus on the spot right behind my eyeballs? Never quieter." He pours himself another mug of least-alcoholic, and regards the board, picking out a few pieces of cheese and some roast potatoes. "How're you doing? Still headachy?"

"No more than usual after one of our, ah, 'illuminating' investigations." She looks down at her tea. "Thank you for the cloak, by the way. It's helped keep some of the chill away."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

Jadedinsc wrote:
Solivar wrote:

"No more than usual after one of our, ah, 'illuminating' investigations." She looks down at her tea. "Thank you for the cloak, by the way. It's helped keep some of the chill away."

"You're quite welcome." A slight shrug. "We had 'deal with the cold by preparing for it' drilled into our heads before we shipped out last time I was here -- it wasn't so long ago that most of what I learned didn't stick. There's not much you can do for altitude sickness, though, so if the headache doesn't go away with rest, or you feel dizzy or sick to your stomach or have trouble getting to sleep...tell me right away. There are ways to take care of that before it gets any worse if you're susceptible to it." He sips at his drink, apparently undisturbed by the octane levels of even weak goblin alcohol. "We should probably get some sleep."

"Yes, we should. We both look rough around the edges to put it politely, and I doubt we'll be getting much rest once we set out." She stays in her seat and makes no move to get up at first. "Of course, the real trick will be actually falling asleep, and if we manage that, I hope we'll be left alone."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

Jadedinsc wrote:
"Yes, we should. We both look rough around the edges to put it politely, and I doubt we'll be getting much rest once we set out." She stays in her seat and makes no move to get up at first. "Of course, the real trick will be actually falling asleep, and if we manage that, I hope we'll be left alone."

"The goblin chemist down the way sells dreamless sleep potions. Apparently she does quite a brisk business -- it's a bit of an issue up here. People having nightmares. Flipping out. Running off into the mine fields. That sort of thing." He finishes his cup. "I'm not usually a fan of medicating oneself into a properly relaxed state but...I'd be willing to make an exception in this case."

Folami looks a little disturbed by Keldris's description. "Given what we've been exposed to, I think taking precautions against dreaming, especially here of all places, is a necessity." She finishes her tea and rises to her feet. "I think I'll go purchase some for myself and then try for sleep."

She turns to walk away, but then stops to look back over her shoulder. "You should take care of yourself, too. We won't be saving the world a man down," she smiles teasingly, "even if he is really a human."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

Keldris holds up a via of deep green liquid. "More than one dose, if you'd like to save a bit of silver."

Folami nods and returns to the table, reaching for her mug and pouring whatever's convenient into it.

"You've tested it, yes? I'd hate to fall asleep only to explode."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

Keldris extracts a rather complicated-looking device from his pocket, consisting of an assortment of small blades, corkscrews, hooks, what looks like a sewing needle, an impossibly tiny pick and hammer, and, incongruously, a teaspoon. He pours a measure into the spoon and then transfers it to both mugs. "Well. Let's say I found the testimonials reassuring. I understand that this stuff works fast, so we might want to retire before we actually take it, lest the innkeeper decide to charge us extra for passing out on the taproom floor."

Page 1 of 4

Jump to: