Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

re: [RP Open Thread]Overnight At Agmar's Hammer

During the War, the fortress of Agmar's Hammer stood athwart the main thoroughfare across the southern reaches of the Dragonblight, a stopover point for Horde forces traveling by ground from their disembarkation point at Warsong Hold to their final duty postings at the Kor'kron Vanguard or at Wintergrasp or inside Icecrown, a front in its own right in the conflict with the forces of Malygos, its resident forces among the first rescue units to arrive after the disastrous battle at the Wrathgate. The end of the War, the Explorers' League seizure of Wintergrasp, and the withdrawal of almost all the forces of both the Alliance and the Horde has changed that: once a bustling military installation, Agmar's Hammer sits silent and abandoned by all but the maintenance crews from Warsong who trek out twice yearly to make certain the fortress remains in good repair, should circumstances require its reactivation.

It is nonetheless a useful place to take shelter as the Northrend night closes in. The ground floor of the western watchtower makes a fine place to settle in to wait for the dawn and the end of the light but steady snow that began falling as the group departed the Pit -- the maintenance crews have already modified it for that purpose, pegging a heavily oiled leather tarp to the metal door-frame to keep out the wind, moving one of the larger fire-bowls in for warmth and cooking purposes and laying in a supply of seasoned wood. Designed primarily to accommodate the larger frames of orcs and tauren, there is more than enough room for smaller, shorter beings to set up a camp, laying out bedrolls on the tower floor. The animal enclosure has been moved inside the walls and while there is no fodder but what was carried with you, at least there are walls now to keep the damp and wind off any living, non-demonic mounts.

Keldris builds the fire with the economy of one who's spent years doing so in a region of the world where being forced to go looking for more firewood in the middle of the night could constitute a death sentence. The food he prepares is simple but filling: black sausage sliced into rounds and fried crisp on the grate, an oatmeal porridge enriched with chopped nuts and swirled with snow plum syrup, freshly warmed bread.

The wind whistles through the upper reaches of the watchtower, swirling away the smoke and letting in just a breath of cool air, its sound like distant voices whispering; outside, the snow hisses against the tower's walls and door.

"...So...where do we go from here?"

With her cloak wrapped tightly around her, Folami warms her hands with a bowl of Keldris's food and stares into the fire.

"It would seem we do what Solivar wanted. We find Foehand and we protect it, or him, or her. I think it would bode ill if we allow this Devourer to be reunited with a weapon he created." Her brow furrows, "Though that may not help us in freeing Solivar or Baranthore."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

"'Force division is an inherently suboptimal choice for a small unit -- one can only divide a force so many times before it becomes incapable of effective tactical action.'" Keldris scrubs a hand through his hair, looking very much as though he'd like to start searching for wisdom at the bottom of a wine bottle. "You're right. What we really need to decide is whether or not to change our current objectives -- there's just not enough of us, even if we call in every favor all of us can muster, to pursue every lead, every goal, every problem we've got on our plates right now." He leans back against the wall and closes his eyes, wearily. "Do we abandon Baranthore in favor of this...Foehand? Prune the diseased branch and hope that the rest of the tree survives -- and that it's not going to come back to spread its disease to other branches, other trees, if we don't act to heal it?"[/i]

"I'd say the Devourer wants us scurrying about with no clear direction." She pokes at her food as the subject matter slowly kills her appetite.

"The problem with your analogy is that if you cut off a tree limb, you can be sure it dies and rots. Baranthore is still out there doing something we don't know. Will 'saving' Foehand be enough, or will Baranthore still be capable of providing a means to an end for the Devourer? Solivar, too, is an unknown quantity, though he is relatively safe for now all things considered. And let's not forget our paladin who turns into a death knight."

She stares at her food, makes a face, and then sets it down in front of her. Now she's lost her appetite. "And what's to say he can't just make another Foehand if he made this one?" She holds her face in her hands and between her fingers she says, "I'm sorry. I'm not helping at all."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

"I'd say the Devourer has been succeeding pretty spectacularly with that particular strategy." Keldris mutters. "We've been running and thinking ourselves in circles since...since at least Silvermoon." He is quiet for a long moment. "I think...at this point...that Ulduar should remain our objective now. We need to find out what's going on there -- I thought the place was under the control of the Explorers' League, but if they've been infiltrated by the Twilight's Hammer -- something's going to have to be done about that. If Baranthore is really there, we need to do something about that, as well. And then there's Neshala..." A pause. "I can say with pretty much total certainty that she was never handed off to the Argent Crusade, as one set of lies about her suggests. Another was that she was given to the care of the Red Dragonflight at Wyrmrest Temple. I think it's safe to say that she's not really dead, but the Ancients alone know where the fel she is, and maybe not even them."

"As for Neshala, the "daughter of the sorrowing depths" I mentioned to the Nerubians seems to refer to her. Or at least, was invoked by Solivar... or the thing possessing Solivar... in the same sentence as her." Skyspear's voice is unusually low, the echoes more pronounced than normally. "There was something about protection as well, but I have no idea of the context, whether she's protected by the daughter of the depths, or needs to be protected from her..."

He pushes to his feet with a jerky motion, striding toward the door. "In any case, I must... leave for a time. Please leave a message if I am not back by morning, I will catch up."

(Sorry for the abrupt departure, but I have a medical appointment really early tomorrow morning, so I can't make tonight's RP session... just assume Skype is out venting his bloodlust upon leftover Scourge or the local wildlife, and he'll be finding you folks on Tuesday using his amazing tracking skillz, or whatever.)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: