Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic   Goto page 1, 2  Next
Skyspear
Veteran

re: [RP] The Wretched Matter of Solivar Eventide (Reporting In)

Siouxsie, in her accustomed position as Acherus' greeting committee, receives Skyspear and, with a brief, curt gesture for silence bids him to follow her further into Acherus. Very deliberately, she guides you into one of the alcoves overlooking the outer tier of the Ebon Hold, where Highlord Mograine and commanders Thalanor, Thorval, Alistra, Amal'thazad, and Silver are having a quiet, rather fierce argument RE the events outlined in a report recently submitted by a certain intelligence-gathering field operative. Opinions are, naturally, quite divided about possible courses of action.

Skyspear enters the scene above with the apprehension natural to a low-ranking member of an organization upon intruding on an argument between his superiors, and salutes Highlord Mograine perhaps a little more smartly than even he might bother to do under other circumstances. "Highlord. I have further news on the matter of Sir Solivar's malady."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

Skyspear immediately finds himself the recipient of six sets of eyes, including three irritated glares, one slightly bemused but otherwise rather benign look, one expression of fair-to-middling intrigue, and a look that is, for an instant, more than slightly relieved before lapsing back into its accustomed ice.

The owner of the last expression, Highlord Darion Mograine, nods curtly at his subordinates. "Thalanor, Allistra, Thorval, I thank you for your counsel on this matter. Dismissed. Baron, Amal'thazad -- please remain. Your...technical expertise may be of value in this."

For an instant, High Commander Thalanor looks as though he very much intends to quarrel with that command but thinks the better of it under the Highlord's utterly impassive stare. The Highlord waits until his commanders have withdrawn before turning his full attention to the matter at hand.

"Report."

Skyspear nods briskly. "Two new items have come to light, Highlord, that I felt merited a personal report." He pauses very briefly, sorting out his thoughts. "Firstly, though possibly of lesser importance, Deselynian Moonstone is in Silvermoon, and seems to be involved with Solivar's circles somehow. I am far from certain whether her presence, and what I have witnessed of her powers," a look of bemused concern quirks his brows, "is actually tied in with this matter, but it does lead directly to the second item."

"As I mentioned in my written report, Sir Solivar has been unconscious since very shortly after we first found him, but Deselynian performed some kind of arcane examination that yielded new facts. Mainly, that one of the sigils I recorded at his home is also carved into Solivar's body... and according to Sir Keldris, this was done before his dark rebirth. Possibly well before." He looks troubled. "Whatever is riding him now, its link to him must have been established before, and survived through, the Lich King's control. I... have never heard of such a thing."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

A quick look passes between Silver and Amal'thazad, and the Highlord hisses softly, the sound echoing a harder metallic tone than even usual.

"Consider maintaining surveillance on Moonstone an extension of your prior orders. At the moment, she is more an annoyance than a threat -- I would prefer her to remain in that position for the time being." The Highlord spears the lich with a glare. "Is what he suggests even possible? It was my understanding that the dark rebirth stripped away all other bonds -- all other attachments."

Amal'thuzad makes a sound that, were he still enfleshed, might constitute an attempt at clearing its throat for the purposes of gaining a moment to think; the results here are uniquely horrific. "Highlord...in truth, there are many questions about this situation to which I have few good answers. Should such a bond have survived the necromancies enacted during the dark rebirth? No -- not unless the power at question was stronger, more deeply rooted in the realms of death, than the Lich King himself. Such a thing strains credulity, especially with regard to a being who was, before his death, a healer -- a holy paladin of the Light."

Baron Silver murmurs, "Which sigil was it?"

Skyspear, grateful for a question which he can answer decisively, fishes his notebook out from inside his tabard and quickly flips through to the appropriate page. "This one."

While the baron peruses the sigil, Skyspear takes the time to address the other two. "In truth, that leads to another event I thought you should be aware of. Moonstone and I both attempted to awaken Solivar, or at least strengthen him by channeling our power into him. He was drained to dangerous levels. I'm uncertain whether my attempt had much effect, but when she tried it, something happened. We - all of us there - had a vision. Courtesy of the Lord of the Crossroads, or of whatever other power controls Solivar, I am not sure, but we saw... well, the rebirth." He shifts uncomfortably, the actual breaking of their wills and minds being a subject that most death knights consider invasively intimate at the very best. "The phrase most often repeated is... the same as I copied off the walls in Meton's house. And yet, the language of those inscriptions is not Eredun, or Nerubian, or any other tongue of the Scourge. I think whatever controls him is simply using his memory of being turned as a goad."

He turns toward Amal'thazad. "Also, with respect, the prevailing theory among Solivar's companions seems to be that the... source of his infection, if you will, is Baranthore Sunstriker. Who, last we knew, still is a paladin of the Light."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

Baron Silver lays the book out on the table, opened to the page in question, the expression on his face carefully, coolly neutral. "Highlord, I will have to consult the field reports to be absolutely certain but I believe we have found a variation of this sigil marking areas of Azjol-Nerub where neither our allies nor the Nerubian Scourge remnant dare to enter. In the depths." Blandly. "I may be forced to reassess my analysis of this situation if that is true."

"In what way?" A slight hint of wariness in the Highlord's tone.

"If this is a territorial marking, it is one of those employed by the servants of the Old Gods." The Baron flips a page or two, showing the replicated script on the house walls. "More specifically by those servants devoted to the cult of Yogg-Saron. If such is the case, given what we know of this...entity's...capabilities, the tactical assessment must change accordingly. I will apprise you of my findings. By your leave, Highlord...?"

"Go. Both of you."

Highlord Mograine awaits until both Silver and the Lich depart to speak again. "Now -- what did you not want to say in front of them?"

Skyspear sighs ruefully. "With all due respect, Highlord, there are aspects of this - " the word "mess" is swallowed before it can quite escape his lips, "this case that I would prefer not to speak of in front of you. Or acknowledge to myself. They make me doubt my sanity." He picks up his notebook. "Such as the fact that among Deselynian Moonstone's many dubious powers, she seems to count the ability to transform into a paladin. One who to all my powers of observation appears very much alive, and definitely empowered by the Light."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

Skyspear wrote:
Skyspear sighs ruefully. "With all due respect, Highlord, there are aspects of this - " the word "mess" is swallowed before it can quite escape his lips, "this case that I would prefer not to speak of in front of you. Or acknowledge to myself. They make me doubt my sanity." He picks up his notebook. "Such as the fact that among Deselynian Moonstone's many dubious powers, she seems to count the ability to transform into a paladin. One who to all my powers of observation appears very much alive, and definitely empowered by the Light."

For an instant, the Highlord looks very much as though he's been struck repeatedly in the head with a maul. An ogre maul. "That's..." He pauses, swallows what he was about to say, and wrestles his expression back under control -- or as much under control as it's going to get. "I have a feeling that if I say 'that's impossible!' the universe will go rather far out of its way to prove me utterly wrong in some spectacular fashion."

He pushes away from the table and begins a slow pace around the room. "For your knowledge, my sanity with regard to his matter has already been questioned, and in so many words. Do you believe there is some connection between Moonstone's...ability...and what is happening to Sir Eventide?"

"There is definitely some connection between the two of them. She seemed on some level to be honestly concerned with his welfare, which is the only reason I didn't protest her being given access to him in the first place. As for the rest..." Skyspear shakes his head slowly. "After the vision, and her... transformation, her paladin self acted very confused for a time. It seems she is unaware of her own dual nature. In any case, she then collapsed - and was found to bear a wound at least somewhat similar to the one dealt to Solivar by Baranthore Sunstriker. Not to mention the fact that one of these Highborne mirrors was found in her possession."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

The Highlord mutters something under his breath that sounds very like bloody elves and their bloody magical leftovers. He paces a full circuit around Acherus' central core before he next speaks. "I am not entirely surprised that Moonstone seemed genuinely concerned -- he has always possessed the sort of...personality...that compels loyalty from others. Even the Fist was not immune." Another silent circuit. "This entire situation develops more layers of complexity and danger the more deeply we delve into it. I should not have been...unaware of what he was doing in Silvermoon -- unaware of what was happening to him. The precautions we put into place should have precluded even the possibility -- I should have sensed it, the bone-scryers should have been able to see something happening -- but we were all blinded to it. And the force doing so must have been external -- had he attempted to tamper with the stone's control mechanisms in any way, it would have triggered an immediate lethal response." He runs a frustrated hand through his hair. "I almost cannot...feel him even now. His presence is so muted -- so weak -- that it could realistically be imagination on my part that he even continues to exist." He stops back at the table and picks up the journal. "Thorval thinks I should execute the termination protocol and continue the investigation with what will be left afterwards. Given what you have discovered thus far...do you feel that this situation is salvageable? Is he?"

"From a tactical point of view, I must agree with Commander Thorval. Solivar is powerful, clearly not in control of himself, and if he were to recover in body sooner than in mind, would be a very serious threat. It's foolish to take such chances."

Skyspear faces the Highlord squarely. "I also think that if we cannot allow ourselves such foolishness sometimes... then our claims of being a brotherhood, of having a purpose in this world now that we've avenged ourselves on the Lich King, would begin to ring quite hollow."
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

The corner of the Highlord's mouth curls back in the closest approximation of a genuine smile that anyone has seen out of him in at least several years. "Indeed...they would. Maintain surveillance of Deselynian Moonstone -- attempt to determine the precise nature of her involvement in this matter, if at all possible, and what the current status of her allegiances. Many of us are...not the same in mind as we were even a few months ago. If she is coming back to something resembling sanity, I would prefer to claim her for the Ebon Blade rather than permit other powers to add another death knight to their arsenal." A pause. "Your mission remains the same -- but I suggest you maintain a heightened awareness that one or more of my commanders may take it into their heads to protect me from my own folly. Dismissed."

Skyspear salutes, tucks his notebook back into his tabard, and leaves Mograine's presence, already pondering this fresh complication. If there are those even within the Ebon Blade who consider Solivar less a wounded brother than a threat, or a research opportunity... then, as much as he's loath to bring such things outside the Order, perhaps it would be best at some point to take Keldris aside for a discussion of security at Mardenholde Keep.
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

SHONEN TIME-SKIP TO AFTER LAST NIGHT!

....I've been waiting forever to do that.[/b]

((*grins* Waiting forever for the end of this thread, or to use that line? Also, since everyone's splitting up, should we have the Skyspear & Keldris chat here? Because given that Keldris will be returning to Mardenholde soon, Skype might think it more sensible to warn him about the threat to Solivar than to go there himself and try to convince the scary Cpt. Stonefist to admit no death knight visitors. Not to mention that he suspects Keldris would be... cross... if the matter were not brought up.)
Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: