Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Solivar
Guardian - Lore Master

re: [RP] Lost In the Shadows Part Three

Augar descends the narrow, delicate staircase with light-footed grace, given his size, the senseless death knight lying still in his arms.

Keldris watches them go and turns back to Skyspear.
Keldris says: ...We need more light in here.

Skyspear says: I should go back to the garden. To see if I can identify the... sacrifice... and prepare them for burial.
Skyspear frowns.

Jarrand tosses an enchanted stone into the darkness

Highwynn says: Sacrifice?

Jarrand says: The magicks of death seem clear on that one, and not from the battlefield.

Skyspear snaps his head around, giving the new arrival a sharp look.

The enchanted stone's circle of illumination casts silver radiance across the pale stone walls -- showing them to be splotched and streaked with dark markings.

Jarrand frowns.

Highwynn says: Oh yes. *ahem* I came to see if my skill would be of help in this investigation. Highwynn at your service.
Highwynn bows down graciously.

Jarrand says: On the plains of Nagrand, this home would be razed to turn it all to ash.

Highwynn mutters something about reminding himself to remember social graces.

Keldris hesitates a fraction, then bows from the neck to the newcomer.

Jarrand says: Highwynn it is. I'm known as Jarrand, the Windspeaker to some.

Keldris says: ...Do you have any more of those stones, Windspeaker?

Skyspear examines the marks on the walls, trying to determine if they're part of the ritual or just someone's twisted idea of decoration.

Jarrand says: I do not have any, I merely borrow.

Shaloro slowly rises, using his vine wrapped staff to balance himself as he staggers towards the cluster of beings.
Shaloro says: Perhaps, the Earthmother will light this path for us.

Jarrand says: Brother Shalo'ro, you stand again.

Skyspear mutters under his breath. "Not just the circle, but the entire house..."

Shaloro nods slowly to the windspeaker.

Keldris says: Begged, borrowed, or stolen, I'd rather we not wander around here blind.

Shaloro extends an arm, a small lightening bolt errupting from his finger tips and settling in the heart of the room, a radiant light bursting from the core of it.

Jarrand says: No, the fel things that hide in this darkness are nothing I'd want to feel on my skin.

Skyspear blinks against the sudden light and narrows his eyes, trying to make sense of the writing.

Highwynn says: Does it mean anything to you?

Skyspear says: It's readable, but that doesn't mean it makes sense.

Jarrand says: What it means is not in its words, but I say there is nothing it it that bodes well.

Skyspear turns to look at Keldris. "Would you recognize Sir Solivar's handwriting?"

Keldris looks away from the walls with almost physical effort and swallows with difficulty.

Skyspear says: This says "you cannot save them. You cannot even save yourself."

Keldris says: I'm not sure I'd call this...handwriting.

Skyspear says: It must be a message of some kind, but whether it's a message *to* Solivar or *from* him, I could not say.

Jarrand says: You challenge the hand that writes or the writing of the hand?

Shaloro sighs deeply.

Keldris says: I'm...It could be. Who else might have had access to this place?

Skyspear shrugs, impatient.
Skyspear says: I believe we all know Sir Solivar may not be in control of himself. I wonder if this is something he wants to say, or something that whatever controls him wants him to believe.

Shaloro says: What'ever... is correct friend...
Shaloro says: These are not the scribed characters of any being we would typically encounter...

Skyspear says: One can make someone believe... almost anything, if they're forced to repeat it enough times. Framing an idea in your own words, with your own hands, gives it power even if you did not believe from the beginning.
Skyspear looks away from the group, seeming absorbed by the spiky writings.

Shaloro nods slowly, his free hand scratching his rough, hairy chin.

Keldris takes several deep, steadying breaths.

Jarrand says: Whether it is the speaker poisoned, or poison in the words, I do not doubt its message is one we'd best watch like fires on the horizon.

Keldris walks down the hall in the direction Solivar came, hand not quite touching the wall.

Skyspear glances after Keldris, then heads downstairs for a closer look at the walls there.

Keldris pauses in the doorway at the far end of the hall.
Keldris says: You....might want to look at this.

Skyspear stops in his tracks, and turns back. "What have you found?"

Highwynn follows down to look.

The room is empty but for a single low table, seemingly carved of a solid piece of dark volcanic stone.

Jarrand looks to Keldris, watching his facial expression before shifting his gaze.

Roori wakes up outside and looks around.

On the table sit several items: a soapstone bowl still half-full of semi-congealed blood, an assortment of flint and obsidian-bladed knives, and a circle of polished stone, paper thin and incised around the edge with the same script.

Skyspear grimaces. "So is that one of your... mirrors?"

Jarrand Walks toward the bowl, staring into its contents.

The walls are densely covered entirely in the twisted, spiky script and the air is colder than anywhere else -- reeking of death, the scent of blood thick enough to taste.

Skyspear says: ...this is *not* the time.

Roori doesnt see anyone and walks inside being very wary.

Jarrand frowns, wrinkling his nose.

Roori says: HELLO!!!! anyone in here.

Highwynn says: Down here!

Jarrand turns quickly toward the source of the voice, walking toward its source.

Keldris says: Thank you, Windspeaker.
Keldris says: I don't know if that's one of the mirrors or not. Do you think we should try to move it?

Shaloro steps up to the bowl, his eyes falling down to its contents.
Shaloro says: If it is moved.. it will not be by such fragile hands, as it was before.

Highwynn looks around the area for signs of the blood's source.

Skyspear crouches, ears twitching, to examine the items on the table more thoroughly. "Simply holding the thing should be safe."

Shaloro flares his nostrils at the foul smelling bowl and his eyes begin to glow a deep gold.

Skyspear says: ...yes, it's blood. Is anyone actually surprised?

Keldris says: Whose blood? The...sacrifice outside or....
Keldris gestures at the walls.

Skyspear says: I don't know, but there is a great deal of it here. Too much for just one body, I think.

Highwynn follow the blood trail to the doorway cautiously.

Shaloro sighs deeply, his thick breathe glazing over the bowl.
Shaloro says: Something rests deeper in this pool.

The blood trail leads across the lower level and down the stairs leading to the basement storage rooms.

Shaloro says: More than a mirror, more than any evil alone.

Skyspear leans in for a closer look at the blood, stirring it with a finger. "...in fact, this did not come from any living creature, I think."

Shaloro nods at Skyspear, his heavy hand falling beside the bowl.
Shaloro says: This is not the blood of any mortal at all..

Skyspear says: No. I believe it must be Solivar's, considering how weakened he is.

Shaloro says: If this would be the blood of your friend, I believe he is in more than just grave danger..

Skyspear says: Oh, blood loss won't kill him - though what he's been doing with the stuff just might.

Shaloro shakes his head slowly. "Something else is at work here.. Many others have had contact with these mirrors you fools have collected... if it has had this impact on one as strong as your friend, why have not the others followed in his steps?"

Highwynn shifts his form into a feral cat and creeps down the stairs following the blood.

Keldris says: What are you suggesting?

Highwynn calls out "Anyone down here?"

Shaloro sniffs the air, his eyes widening more.
Shaloro says: I have seen a great many things in my age, and until now, never have I been reminded so much of them... this stench...
Shaloro says: The air itself... the chill surrounding this place...
Shaloro says: It may be possible young one, your friend has had his dealings with an old god..
Shaloro lets out a deep sigh, the glow of his eyes begining to fade slowly.

Highwynn jumps back and heads back up the stairs. "Something.. wrong is down there." pointing to the basement.

Shaloro looks up from the bowl, his gaze falling to the druid.

Keldris says: ....Dealings? You mean...*deliberate* dealings?

Shaloro glances back towards Keldris, his eyes widening as he nods.

Highwynn says: Who or what is down there?

Skyspear says: So if you are right, what do you suggest we do?
Skyspear says: Apart from find some secure place to keep Sir Solivar until we know more.

A sourceless whisper says: There is...
A sourceless whisper says: ....a little lamb....
A sourceless whisper says: ...lost in the dark forest.

Shaloro slowly raises a heavy brow, the glow of his eyes returning.

The sound says: echoes up from below.

Skyspear snarls. "I am fed up with these ghost voices."

Shaloro says: For now my friends, we should leave this threat, and cleanse this... tainted bowl.
Shaloro says: If your friend is in debt with the old gods now... there is little we can do, but I know a people who can help..

Keldris says: ....I'm thinking you may have a point -- perhaps we should come back here in daylight.

Skyspear crosses his arms. "Spit it out, then."

Shaloro says: No...
Shaloro says: We must not return.. It is clear we are not welcome...
Shaloro says: From this place we shall take little besides what is needed...
Shaloro says: This place is not belonging to your friend anymore...

Skyspear snarls. "Forget about being welcome! We need to know what happened here, and I will find out if I have to tear the very stones from these walls!"

Keldris says: We can't just leave it like this.

Shaloro eyes the elves quickly, then rises to his hooves once more.

Keldris says: And he's right -- we need to know what happened here.

Shaloro says: If you seek to stay, that is your doing, but know that while you remain here, your friend draws closer to his unchosen fate...
Shaloro says: I leave you to your.. foolish, tasks, and I shall take to the north. My ancestors would know much of these old gods...

Skyspear says: And how do YOU suggest we stop that, if not by finding more knowledge, and finding some place he can be safe?
Skyspear says: I have no time for this.
Skyspear rises and heads downstairs, going to explore the ground floor and the basement now that there is light to see by.

Shaloro huffs loudly, the glow of his eyes fading.

Keldris says: Now's not the time to argue, Elder. Can you lend us your help for a bit longer?

Shaloro glares down the stairs to the elf. "In all my ages... never such disrespect...."

Keldris says: Eh. You get used to it.

Shaloro says: If my time was spend arguing.. I would not be the one I am...

Keldris smiles crookedly.

Shaloro says: Seek your foolish errands, but I will not saddle such cryptic writings which bring nothing but more pain.
Shaloro slowly descents the stairs, heading towards the door.

Highwynn creeps down after Skypear trying to see what he finds.

Keldris says: Be careful, Elder. And thank you for what you've done.

Highwynn says: What do you see?

Shaloro says: Thank?

Keldris descends the stairs, as well, and heads in the direction of the basement entrance.

Skyspear says: The writing is different down here...

Shaloro shakes his head as he departs.
Shaloro bows low before Jarrand and Roori, his eyes falling to the hawk.

Jarrand says: Brother, you look troubled.

Keldris says: This is...his hand, I'm pretty sure of it. Admittedly, it's been a long time.
Keldris says: But he was always very...precise...in his writing.
Keldris releases a ragged breath, and rests a hand on the wall.

Skyspear looks over his shoulder at Keldris, then back at the wall, trying to decipher this.

Shaloro shakes his head slowly, the glow now gone from his eyes.

Roori says: Hello Elder druid guy that i forget your name again.

Shaloro smiles lightly at the young orc.
Shaloro says: These... elves you company with yourself...
Shaloro says: They seek only more trouble and dismal truths.
Shaloro says: Foolishness..

Jarrand says: As I said to the youngling here, the rivers we travel sometimes bend and wind in manners with which we cannot see the next step.

Roori says: im confused again.

Jarrand says: As may be our friends, but we're all searching for answers after our own fashion.

Skyspear takes in an unnecessary breath, and looks at Keldris. "Well, this is ironic."

Emboldened by having the others around him continues to follow the bool trail.

Keldris says: ...Not the word I'd use.

Skyspear says: Granted, it depends on whether you are who I think you are.

Keldris regards the death knight steadily for a moment.

Highwynn looks back "You know what it says?"

Keldris hooks a finger around the leather lanyard he wears around his throat, and draws it out from beneath his chain-and-leather.

The ring gleams in the druid's light, a braided band of gold-chased khorium. Held one way, it resembles a circle of dancing flame; turned the other, a circle of waving leaves.
The ring's inner surface is inscribed with a nearly identical Thalassian phrase.

Keldris says: It should say 'my heart is lost *to you.*'
Keldris tucks the ring away again.

Skyspear raises one eyebrow slightly. "Proof as good as any. I'm pleased. It would be... inconvenient if you had been an impostor, I would have been forced to kill you, and the Windspeaker and his friends might not like that."

Keldris says: An imposter? I'm beginning to think this whole thing was an engraved invitation.

Skyspear says: ...thank you for feeding my paranoia.
Skyspear paces restlessly.

Keldris says: Though I'll be perfectly gratified if you don't stab me.

Skyspear says: *I* was told that if I could not get through to Sir Solivar by any other means, I should attempt to subdue him and bring him to you.

Keldris says: It's also pretty gratifying to know that, in his secret heart of hearts, Darion Mograine is still an incurable romantic.
Keldris smiles wryly, the expression not reaching his eyes.

Skyspear looks at Keldris as though he can't believe what he's hearing, then throws back his head and laughs.
Skyspear says: There are those who doubt the Highlord *has* a heart... but no matter.

Keldris says: I got two calls. Summonses. Whatever. One was from Catlali, about the mirror thing....
Keldris says: ...And the other one was from Solivar's brother.

Skyspear looks surprised. "I did not know he had living kin."

Keldris says: All roads led here, so here I am.

Skyspear says: ...which means your presence is probably fate, or destiny, or some such thing.

Keldris says: Not many do. The brother changed his name -- decided to chuck it all and make his own way after...everything...that happened here.

Skyspear nods. "An understandable temptation."

Highwynn heads back up and outside to get some air.

Keldris says: Destiny's a little grandiose. But I'd like to think I'm in the right place at the right time for a change.

Skyspear says: Then the question is where we go from here.

Keldris says: Which is not to say that I'm going to enjoy going into that basement.
Keldris says: Nowhere to go but down. Or out back. Shall we flip a silver?

Skyspear says: I still feel we should explore it. Maybe it holds the missing clue... since we know Solivar was scrying for something, but not what.

Roori says: wanna go like get some food or something.

Highwynn says: Ah much better.

Skyspear says: I... could take care of the victim outside, later. I am used to such things.

Keldris says: You're sure it was him?

Jarrand says: You must be hungry, having not yet broken your fast.

Roori says: was more thinking about you you eat more then me.

Skyspear says: I doubt it was Solivar. I wonder, though, what or who is working through him.

Jarrand says: That may be the case, but I am no stranger to famine or fasting. I will eat when I can.

Roori says: also Hi person i dont know.

Jarrand looks at Highwynn.
Jarrand greets Highwynn warmly.

Keldris says: I'll consider that a sop to my desperate hopes and thank you for it.

Highwynn says: I came to see if I could help them investigate.

Keldris says: Let me take point on this one....

Jarrand says: Highwynn...a pleasure to meet you. And, I fear this investigation to carry with it a high cost.

Skyspear steps aside. "By all means."

Roori says: I was going to try but no one wants to let me help...

Highwynn mutters again to himself about remembering social graces.

Jarrand says: Youngling, your tasks now are far more important than what we do. There will be, in time, the chance to find your way to the forefront of battle.
Jarrand says: Be glad you have your childhood.

Highwynn says: Something is not right down there.

Keldris unloops his hammer and murmurs quietly to it for a moment, the metal glowing from within as he does so, clearing some of the sickening miasma welling up from below....
Keldris descends the steps carefully.

Skyspear follows behind him, but not so closely as to hinder him.

Jarrand says: There is much that is not right within those walls.

The sound of dripping water wells up from below, growing gradually louder.

The light of Keldris' hammer gutters suddenly and all at once, as though pinched out like a candle, and he swears quietly as he stumbles down the last few steps, coming to a sodden, sloshing halt at the bottom.

Skyspear says: ...please tell me that's water.

Keldris says: Wet. Extremely wet.
Keldris says: I'm going to pretend it's water even if it isn't so....

Skyspear says: Probably wise.

Shaloro slowly steps back into the building, descending the narrow staircase.

Skyspear wades in after Keldris, using his own weapon to feel around in the dark.

Keldris says: It smells like....

Jarrand says: I believe it time I returned to our comrades below.

Highwynn nods in agreement and follows.

Jarrand returns to the tainted household, slowly walking toward where he presumes his companions to have ventured.

Keldris says: ....Yeah....not water.
Keldris says: Or at least not only water.
Keldris whispers under his breath again, the language only half-familiar.

Skyspear closes his eyes, fighting the presence of blood and death, trying to make his instincts work in his favor. He needs to know who died here, and when.

The light flickers back to life around him, a faint golden-white halo that illuminates the dark water covering the floor to ankle depth...the racks of weapons hanging from the walls...the assortment of trollish corpses....

Skyspear snarls. "Trolls. It makes sense, no one in this city would care that someone was killing trolls even if they noticed."

And the tall, pale figure standing motionless in the very center of the room, naked but the unbound cascade of sunlight golden hair falling down his back and the unholy sigils carved and burnt and painted on his skin....

Skyspear stares, slowly bringing his weapon up to guard. "Who..."

Lightless black eyes catch the radiance and swallow it whole, a cold smile touching the blood-caked lips as he inclines his head in greeting, the motion parting the long ear-to-ear wound across his throat.

Jarrand watches the manifest being, at a loss for words.

The Lord of the Crossroads says: Hello again, paladin. And I see you brought friends this time.

The world pulses white , all color washing away....

Jump to: