View previous topic :: View next topic  
- Zentao -
Guardian - Raid Master

re: So long Ghostcrawler, and thanks for all the fish!

Greg (Ghostcrawler) Street,

News of your departure came as a shocking surprise. With the announcement of WoD, the Warcraft Movie, and all the other things Blizzard is doing to try and keep things fresh; the timing just seems off. But, on the other hand, it does make sense to keep it under wraps until after Blizzcon so as to not detract from that event; quite admirable and selfless of you.

Not sure of the reason for your departure, and not sure anyone but you and your close confidants will ever know. But, lurking on the forums for many years and seeing a lot of the responses on this thread, I’m sure the WoW Community had some influence.

We are, for the most part ill-informed, presumptive, unforgiving, insensitive, and quite frankly... selfish.

And, for those of the Community that happen to be reading this - the above are generalized statements that do not apply to everyone... but they do speak to the majority and the culture on the forums.

Speaking from experience as a Project Manager in real-life that specializes in large scale capital projects 25MM and greater; people in certain positions end up being blamed for quite a few things that are not within their realm of influence or control. But because of the mantel we carry, you would never hear us directly deflect it to another, even if they were the one truly responsible for whatever it is that you’re complaining about.

Where there may be a lot of similarities between our roles, there is a clear line of delineation in that after the facility is up and running and I hand the keys to the Plant Manager; I move on to a new project, with new stakeholders, in a new locations, with a new team, and build something different. Greg, for all the years you have been doing this - you have not had that luxury. Six years at Blizzard as Lead Systems Designer and for the past few years as the face of the company on the forums - engaging with the community and announcing not only the changes but the rational behind them.

That, dear sir, is a long run in a tough position and speaks worlds to your resilience and dedication; it’s a long way from marine biology, huh?

I did some reading up on you and the one thing I didn't realize was your involvement with AoE; pretty cool, I loved that game back in the day. And, again, to be provided that opportunity on that Title with no previous experience... a testament to your ability, flexibility, and capability.

In closing, I hope wherever you go the greater majority of the community acknowledges the dedication you will bring and provides you with the kudos you deserve. I wish you great success in the future and that you and your family can enjoy the fruits of your labor and dedication.

Respectfully,

Zentao Sunweaver

PS - I always inspect my fellow healers that I end up getting mated with in cross-realm content to see different approaches to gear augmentation. Now that I know you are a fellow Holy Priest - I’ll always wonder if the person that is helping me keep the raid alive is you. If so, what an honor that would truly be.

PPS - Be well Mr. Street... this player is a proud member of the player base that acknowledges all the positive things you have provided in regards to playing the game weI have chosen as a recreational past-time; and we will miss you.

PPPS - Great Douglas Adams reference…

Darren Tereos
Guardian - Charter Master

Nicely said.  Sorry to see the guy go.  I don't know if I should be, but I was surprised to see people lauding the departure.  He always seemed like a good link between the community of players and those behind the wheels of the game.

Champion

He was the face of the devs for me and I loved how he was very open with fans on twitter. It is a shame to see him go and I wish him all the luck in his next chapter.

Parathos
Veteran

Ghostcrawler definitely did some amazing things for the game. He really took it upon himself to be the voice of reason in the Dev community. He will be missed, but he had a fantastic and extremely talented team working for him.

I'm looking forward to what is to come, but I hold no hesitation in saying that the future of WOW is still bright and in very capable hands.

Hope Mr. Street has a great time in his next venture, whatever that may be. I'll still be here playing an awesome game that he helped shape and perfect!

~Parathos~

Good luck Ghostcrawler

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Who's Online
None