Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jadedinsc
Champion

re: [Story] Meanwhile, in Hammerfall...

Hammerfall, Folami discovered, was much the same as she had left it several months prior. It was almost unnerving to see the way life in Arathi Highlands remained unchanged while her life had already undergone several tumultuous upheavals with yet another hovering on the horizon just out of sight. With her world spinning off its axis, she felt the rest of Azeroth ought to be doing the same. As such, her first breakfast was a bewildering experience. The laughter shared between soldiers and travelers over food was genuine and real, their smiles more than a simple movement of facial muscles used to cover up the knowledge of ever-present evil pressing in from all sides. Conversations revolved around the day’s chores and previous night’s debauchery, not nightmares and fears of who or what might be lurking at the next stop on their journey. It should have been a refreshing change of pace, but instead it only increased her anxiety and made her fret over the others’ well-beings.

Caught up in her observation of the inn’s other occupants, Folami failed to notice an orc taking the seat opposite her. He cleared his throat, presumably to catch her attention, but when Folami looked, he was adjusting his faded purple robes. Believing he’d taken the seat because many of the others were occupied, she resumed her casual observation. That is until he greeted her in rather butchered Thalassian.

Bal’a dash, malanore,” he grunted with the eloquence of a mammoth barreling through the tundra. The voice and another look at his face triggered Folami’s memories and she smiled.

Throm-ka, Zaruk,” she responded in a lilting voice, making the Orcish greeting sound prettier than it should. Her smile widened at the orc’s grimace. In her time in Hammerfall, they’d made a game of subtly insulting each other’s native tongue by speaking in manners incongruent to the languages' respective cultures.

“You remembered my name. I feared you had forgotten me.” In response to Folami’s raised eyebrows he added, “You arrived here two nights ago and have made no effort to speak to any of us. It wouldn’t be the first time an elf conveniently forgot her green-skinned friends.”

Shamed, Folami lowered her head. “It’s not that, friend,” she said, making a point to use the word friend. “I have been living in my own mind, too distracted by my thoughts to recognize the people around me.” She raised her chin to meet his curious gaze. “Much has happened since my days here.”

Zaruk grunted an agreement. “You wear your burdens as a heavy cloak on your shoulders, a cloak you are not willing to remove here.”

Folami acknowledged the orc’s offense at being left out of her secrets with a sad smile. “Less unwilling and more that I must consider the safety of those around me, particularly that of my friends who I could not bear to see come to harm.”

“You forget I was part of the Hammer. There is not much I fear.” He pointed a finger at her and then dropped his hand onto the table with a shrug. “But you must have your reasons, and so long as you are not answering voices trapped in crystals,” he grinned to show her he was teasing, “I will leave you alone.”

“How was I to know she intended to kill us all? Usually prisoners are more appreciative of the ones who release them from captivity.” She studied Zaruk for a moment and tilted her head slightly. “As I recall, a supposedly wise orc sent me to investigate, one who was well aware what sort of task he was sending a naïve elf to do.”

“A naïve elf who learned a very valuable lesson.”

“One that nearly killed me,” she began and then stopped, realization dawning. “You knew what was there all along, didn’t you? I couldn’t help but notice the crystal is still there when I passed through. Do you send every adventurer to her?”

“Only the ones I like.” Zaruk raised his mug to his mouth as if to drink, though Folami suspected it was more to hide the large grin on his face rather than to quench his thirst. His eyes twinkled with amusement.

“I should hate to see what happens to the ones you don’t like.”

Zaruk shrugged and shook his head. “The foolish ones are killed. The others either learn or return home with their tails tucked between their legs.”

“The Horde has no room for weaklings, hmm? You sound like your new Warchief.”

Our Warchief,” Zaruk corrected her. “And yes, I think the Horde is no place for cowards or those who are too stupid to see the difference between bravery and recklessness.”

“And you believe I do?”

Zaruk regarded her with a measuring look, his expression suddenly serious. “Yes, elf, I believe you do. What’s more is that you respect power, not in the sense that you bow down to anyone with power, but that you know the dangers of wielding too much of it.”

Stunned, Folami stared at Zaruk for several moments before speaking again. “I don’t…I don’t know what to say. You honor me, Zaruk.”

The orc only smiled and rose to his feet. “Say you will join me in sharing a pint or two of Brewfest ale later. Some new recruits smuggled in a few kegs and have purchased my silence by promising me one of my own. You will find me at my usual post, which I must return to now. I sent a promising young warrior out to the crystal the other day and I expect him to return to beg for my help soon.”

Folami laughed and shook her head. “Zug-zug,” she said in her flowery voice once more.

Al diel shala, elf.” He winked.

Still chuckling, Folami looked out the door and saw the tall grass of the Arathi Highlands dancing in the autumn breeze. It was, she decided, a perfect day to go for a ride to clear her head, at least until the anxiety ratcheted up a notch again and she resumed her worry over how her friends were faring in Quel’Thalas.

Posts from:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Steadfast Forum Index -> Roleplaying (in-character) All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: